taking wallet underwater ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gracklemann

Registered
Reaction score
Does anyone take their wallet, keys, money etc underwater with them? I'm looking for some sort of small waterproof bag or canister where I can put stuff that I'm not confortable leaving on shore. Something that will survive recreational depths and keep the contents dry.
Any suggestions?

gracklemann:
Does anyone take their wallet, keys, money etc underwater with them? I'm looking for some sort of small waterproof bag or canister where I can put stuff that I'm not confortable leaving on shore. Something that will survive recreational depths and keep the contents dry.
Any suggestions?

There are underwater wallets and fanny packs that are available. They are made with extra-heavy ziplock bags inside. They can be purchased by your LDS from Trident, a dive accessory supplier. I am not sure that I would trust them to put anything important, such as my passropt, in though.

I have found no real need to tank anything with me underwater. If I am on a live-aboard, I just leave everything in my cabin. If I am on a day boat, I don't take any papers with me except what I need for a tip for the crew. Water will not hurt money. If you need to take keys with you, water will not hurt them either, but keys are not likely to be stolen, so you can leave them on the boat. If I am diving from shore I lock everything in the car, and either take my car key with me or hide it in an appropriate place.

I usually shore dive, and lock everything in my car (hiding it, of course) then keep a copy of my car key on cave line around my neck. Never had a problem, but I haven't dove in any secluded places, either.

One precaution, though. Keys with an electronic chip are not suitable for diving (obviously). Either use the keypad (if so equipped) or see if your car has spare keys that can only open the doors but not start the car.

If you do want to take keys and other things with you underwater, I would suggest checking out Otter Boxes for waterproof cases.

My Jeep key has an embedded chip...if you take it to Home Depot or whereever they will make you a copy that doesn't have the chip. (They freak about making it because they know it's embedded...they try over and over to send you to the dealer for your copy.) I got a couple made a while back...no worries now. As far as the wallet, etc, I would not trust the little Pelican boxes with the clear cover. I was at Ginnie Springs the other day and there were two different people who had purchased them at the Outpost and on both of their dives the boxes leaked. My suggestion would be to leave what you can or at least steer clear of the Pelicans with the clear lid. (I know they have a lifetime warranty...that is of no help when you're stranded because your car keys just took an unexpected swim.)

Jay_SMART_Diver:

I don't know if I would trust this on a class 4 or 5 rapid, let alone taking it underwater. I would be very hesitant of any "dry" box fully submerged at depth. IMO the best advice has been given... leave your wallet under your seat of your car.

Unless you're dry suit diving, then you can put your wallet in your pocket.

We have tried otter boxes and others like them, but they have all leaked. Now we just accept that whatever we take with us diving will get wet, so nothing that will get destroyed is taken along.

elsewhere on the board is a sad tale from some dude who took all his crap in a small drybox while diving.......of course he lost the box....its a bad idea. If you don't need it on the dive, don't take it - and you certainly don't need your wallet down there.

Leave your stuff in your vehicle. Put a spare vehicle key either around your neck, as stated, or else attach it to a small SS boltsnap and snap it inside one of your pockets. If you dive long enough you'll lose all sorts of dive gear. Stuff just happens. Given the amount of sensitive material in your wallet, it simply doesn't make sense to take it underwater with you. The risks outweigh any conceivable benefit.

YMMV.

Don't take your cell phone diving with you either.

For some reason, Verizon doesn't consider being in 100' of water to be a warranty defect. :cool:

Terry

howarde:
I don't know if I would trust this on a class 4 or 5 rapid, let alone taking it underwater. I would be very hesitant of any "dry" box fully submerged at depth. IMO the best advice has been given... leave your wallet under your seat of your car.

Unless you're dry suit diving, then you can put your wallet in your pocket.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom