Surface Signal Devices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
In another thread folks have been telling what they carry to assist being seen on the surface. Most are carrying things that are great for helping a nearby boat spot them. You may be interested in the range of these devices in the open ocean as well. (distances vary greatly depending on the height above water of the lookout and the sea state - these figures are typical for a small boat - larger boats with higher lookout positions can see further, if they're looking - except for the whistle, of course)
Day...
Whistle - typically 100 yds or less (maybe 300 on a flat calm day with nobody talking and all engines & generators shut down)
Lift bag - 150-250 yds
Safety sausage - depending on size, 200-300 yds
Signal Smoke - 2-3 miles
Mirror (glass, not metal - a real signal mirror used properly - sweep aiming spot along the horizon) - over 50 miles (search plane on a clear day)
Radio - up to 100 miles
--------
Night...
Whistle - about the same as day
Lift bag - probably around 100 yds
Safety sausage *with reflective tape* - about the same as day
Dive light or strobe - 500 yds
Flare - surface - up to a mile
Flare - pistol - 5-10 miles or so for a boat, about 15-25 from a plane.
Radio - up to 100 miles
---------
Whistles, safety sausages & such are fine for your dive boat looking for you at the end of a dive. If you want to have a device that'll work in an open ocean search, however, as in a "left behind" situation, at least carry a signal mirror, and train enough to know how to use it.
Rick

This is good info. I never thought to practice with my mirror but...duh!...that makes sense. I'll be blinding the neighbors now.

I've never even heard of "signal smoke"! Who makes it, how much, and what exactly is it??

Standard survival equipment for military aviators. You can probably pick them up at a surplus store. One end is a flare (for night) and the other a smoke (orange smoke, for day). They are waterproof but if you wanted to take one diving you'd probably need to put it in a more substantial container to handle depth.
Rick

A quick Google search turned up several sites... one of 'em is:
http://www.safetyproductsunlimited.com/signal_mirror.html
My personal preference is for the glass ones like we used in the Navy, and that's what I use myself, but these look pretty good.
Rick

Back
Top Bottom