Emergency signalling devices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stablgr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I used to do quite a lot of drift diving and always carried a set of hand launchable distress flares in a waterproof capsule with me.

My question is, what's the favoured emergency signalling device carried these days, especially with respect to drift diving and the potential for large separation distances?

Oh, I'll tell you what I use, and you won't have to search. I have a large, yellow surface marker and an air horn on my regulator hose. Look at the searches for more options.

The favored emergency signalling device will depend upon the specific circumstances. Since I can't see into the future and know what will be important, I carry several different signalling devices ---

DSMB
large "orange plastic bag" surface signalling tube
Dive Alert
whistle
light
mirror

Each has their advantages and disadvantages, which is why I carry them all.

The most important feature is to have it WITH you. I carry a relatively small DSMB, and many divers have commented that theirs is much larger. Usually, when I ask where they carry it, the answer is something like -- "it's too bulky, so I didn't bring it today."

My favorite and most useful device is a Dive Alert LP air whistle. I have used it a time or two when returning to the dive boat early, when no one was on lookout, and it gets everyone's attention quickly.

Regarding flares, if I was on a boat that warranted my having flares, I would find another boat.

Flares only make sense for extreme current diving, the kind that most people should avoid.

I have a friend that carries a one-person raft that is in a little pouch at the bottom of his back plate. I never noticed it until he pointed it out. Very low profile. I'm going to be getting my own soon.

I have a friend that carries a one-person raft that is in a little pouch at the bottom of his back plate. I never noticed it until he pointed it out. Very low profile. I'm going to be getting my own soon.

For an extreme dive way out at sea, this might be nice. But for the typical dive, I doubt it. In a perfect world, the boat does not leave you behind. But it is not a perfect world. Especially Australia, or Fiji.

Back
Top Bottom