Brass Crab Claw use

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I tried them at one time but saw no benefit. They seem to be harder to find in SS and, for me, harder to use for stages.

MD

I've used one on a loaner wreck reel - it was brass like the one pictured. It was used on the first tie-off on the outside of the wreck. Did it's job.

lucid once bubbled...
I had them until my DIRf instructor cut them off and threw them in the trash. =]
Did he give you a reason? ...I suppose there is the risk of accidental release but would be interested in a definitive reason. At first glance, I thought it might be easier to open to get gear off after a winter dive and all the gear has frozen on the boltsnaps (yes I could cut it off, but I don't want to!).

He looked at it and said it was bullsh_t and cut it off. I replaced it with a standard clip. The GUE guys like uniformed equipment. For several reasons. The clips I had where not the standard type so I replaced them. You wouldn't want a buddy fumbling with the clips in an emergency. He also said they could snag a line.

Got one on one of my goodie bags that I only use in warm water, the swivel made mischief for me when wearing heavy gloves in cold water. Maybe if they came in a bigger size.
... cut it off.
Anybody cutting up MY dive gear would have an immediate religious experience!!

tinman once bubbled...
Does anyone use crab claws instead of brass bolt snaps for gear attachment. Pros and cons?

What is it? Look at bottom of this list of accessories
http://www.cetaceacorp.com/scuba/action/gearclips.html

I used one for a brief period of time. I can tell you there are numerous cons, and virtually no pros.

1) By design, they are more difficult to manipulate, because the "trigger" rolls rather than sliding. It is very easy for your finger to slip off before opening it wide enough to release it.

2) The two halves "scissor" together, making it very easy for a line to get trapped in it.

3) Because the two halves scissor together, it is easy for them to seperate which can affect the ability to open them quickly or close them properly.

4) The sizes they are readily available in are rather small to be really useful.

Hope that helps.

I use one my "stringer" for Spearfishing. Much faster then a piston-snap when I want to clip it off to my float.

I'm with Bob3. anyone screwing with my equipment will get a chance to swim home.

Willer

Tx guys. Always on the lookout for a better mousetrap. I'll keep lookin'...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom