Wreck reel manufacturers: Pros and Cons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King Kong Matt

Contributor
Reaction score
OK...my general sense before we even start is that people are gonna tell me to go get the Halcyon reel. That's cool...I like Halcyon stuff.

But, here's the question (and bear in mind I know VERY little about reels).

:question:

1) I now have heard multiple people complain about the quality of the Halycon reels. Something basically to the effect that there is no easy way (and perhaps no way at all) to *stop* the reel...make sense? No lockdown screw? Is that really true?

2) Is it possible to replace the line on a reel? Say with a heavier weight line?

Thanks in advance,
-kkm

1. Yes they have a lock down screw. I think it could be better, but it looks ok.

2. Yes you can replace reels with what ever line you want.

i like the spring-handle-notch-lock action of the Manta Reels. In case the previous sentence doesn't make any sense to you, check out their site where the concept explained better.

I love the pathfinder reel. The lock down screw can be changed. I went to a "shovel" or"spade" head screw. A little easier to grip with gloves. You could go to Home depot or Mcmaster and look at the screws to see which one would suit you. Get a few as spares.

Eric

I like the enclosed reel from Reef Reef Scuba. The unjustable tension knob lets you adjust tension or lock down the reel on the fly even with thick gloves on. It's also easy to romove the spool from the reel to untangle it or if you have to drop it, you only loose the spool and line and not the reel itself.

Mike

King Kong Matt once bubbled...
OK...my general sense before we even start is that people are gonna tell me to go get the Halcyon reel. That's cool...I like Halcyon stuff.

But, here's the question (and bear in mind I know VERY little about reels).

:question:

1) I now have heard multiple people complain about the quality of the Halycon reels. Something basically to the effect that there is no easy way (and perhaps no way at all) to *stop* the reel...make sense? No lockdown screw? Is that really true?

2) Is it possible to replace the line on a reel? Say with a heavier weight line?

Thanks in advance,
-kkm

The Halcyon reel has a lock down screw. However the spool is delrin and the screw is stainless. In cold water we have had the screw looses, I think because of the spool contracting. If you use the reel as a primary run in from the entrance there isn't a problem but if you carry it clipped off it could be bad news. A freind of mine replaced the lockdown screw with a non-metal one and it stays tight (because it compresses some when you tighten it).

the halcyon reel is meant to be used as a primarry. The smalles one is I think 400 ft. They mean for jumps, gaps and liftbag deployment to be done with a spool. I like a spool for a lift bag but still kind of like a reel for jumps and gaps. I carry a spool in my pocket if you clip one off on the outside be careful. I have seen two thing happen. One: if the line isn't wound just right before being clipped off with the double ender it can jump the spool and feed off the spool behind you. Second: I have seen the double ender come off the spool. Both might be a little bit of operator error but it still happens.

Conventional reels of course have their own problems. When you get down to it working with line takes practice.

I've been using the Halcyon but I'm thinking of getting a Manta. I like the anti-birdnest feature and my experience has been that the quality of their products is pretty high. They're not cheap though for sure! The one I need is most of 200 bucks :(

WW

Hey WW, are you talking about the Manta Sr.?

At LP, you can buy it with 600 feet of #24 line or 320 feet of #36 for $122.95. The G5 series is even cheaper.

WreckWriter once bubbled...
I've been using the Halcyon but I'm thinking of getting a Manta. I like the anti-birdnest feature and my experience has been that the quality of their products is pretty high. They're not cheap though for sure! The one I need is most of 200 bucks :(

WW

GearHead once bubbled...
Hey WW, are you talking about the Manta Sr.?

At LP, you can buy it with 600 feet of #24 line or 320 feet of #36 for $122.95. The G5 series is even cheaper.

Yea, that's the one. I'd want the #36 line. this seems to be their top of the line reel.

WW

Yup, I use the #36 on my Manta Jr. and it seems to hold up just fine. I don't know how you feel about purchasing stuff online, but LP's price for the Manta Sr. is pretty nice, and I don't think you need much after-purchase support for a reel. :D

Ugh, I sound like a salesman!! Sorry, I just like helping people to save money when I can.

WreckWriter once bubbled...

Yea, that's the one. I'd want the #36 line. this seems to be their top of the line reel.

WW

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom