EBRIB's, PLB's, and other Emergency Beacons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lock_washer

Contributor
Reaction score
I am looking for assistance in finding the right EBRIB, PLB for diving.

I do have product questions about EPRIB/PLBs emergency beacons for diving. I was wondering if anybody has had experience using them. With the recent rash of divers being left behind by dive boats, I am seriously think of adding a EPIRB/PLB device to my signaling devices I already carry. I heard that there has been a change in distress frequency that the Rescue Satellites monitor, so some of current EPIRB/PLB devices would be invalid to carry.

Here are some links that I have found on various ones on the market: including information about monitoring frequencies.

McMurdo
Fastfind Dive Canister

Sea Marshall - Locally Managed Rescue System for Lost Diver, Alerting Unit

121.5 Phase-Out

Welcome to ACR Electronics. The Science of Survival.

ACR MICROFIX GPS LOCATOR BEACON http://www.OMSdive.com

I looked through some of these links, and I am trying to find a device that is waterproof, works anywhere in the world, and can be taken on a dive with me: whether its depth rated to go deep, or can be placed in a waterproof canister that can take the depths of a typical dive. I do carry with me: a safety sauage, a signaling mirror, a storm whiste, a Dive Alert air horn, and a signaling strobe light. But face it...if the dive boat is gone from site, and there is no other boat in the area, the current devices I carry are useless.

Any information or experience with any product would be greatly appreciated. I did send a email to Scubadiving Magazine requesting the same request for reviews by their Scubalab, but they didn't seem to show any interest. I sent one to Undercurrent magazine, but the information I received back wasn't really helpful. I also sent a email to the Techincal editor at UK Dive Magazine who reviews dive gear, but haven't heard back from them either.

Thanks,

Lock Washer

Take a look at this site. While not SCUBA-centric, there is a lot of good information and reviews of what works in a survival situation - including personal locator beacons:

EQUIPPED TO SURVIVE - Outdoors Gear, Survival Equipment Review & Survival Information

Henrik

The McMurdo works. It transmits on two freq 406 Mhz this is the main one that transmits your distress call and location to NOAA. The other freq 121.5 Mhz, at one time all commercial ships and aircraft used this for emergency's however that's is fading out.

Be aware that while the 406 Mhz will go to NOAA then to USCG the USCG are not located all over the world. So if you activated it in Palau NOAA would have to contact the authority's in Palau for your rescue.

121.5 Mhz, if there is a vessel equipped with this in your area they can use direction finding equipment to find you.

This board member had one for sale http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/gear-equipment-classifieds/256989-fs-epirb-underwater-canister.html

Back
Top Bottom