MP3 Player?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tegg

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
While floating through the caves and doing safety stops, it occurred to me that it would be cool to have an underwater MP3 player.... not for the caves (being it may get in the way in a siltout/real problem) but in OW it might be cool. Does anyone know of any? I figured that if there was ANY underwater music items, it would be an MP3 player due to the enclosed nature of them.

Steve Berman (caver in FL) used to make a device called a Diveman which was a walkman in a sealed canister with earphones from underwater metal detectors. I can't find anything via google, but I didn't work at it long. It should be easy enough to put a NetMD minidisc player in a canister on random playing MP3s (cheap, runs on 1AA). The hard part would be the earphones. If you didn't mind mono, you could probably just get a replacement earphone from a metal detector retailer - stereo will be much harder. Like a camera though, you'll eventually flood it. Alternatively, you could make an underwater boom box by attaching the speakers to the inside of the canister so that they reverberate through the water. Downside would be that everyone else gets to hear it...

Let me know what you come up with, I'm interested to see if you find anything. Good luck.

http://www.desdiver.com/Products/

I had to check it out when I read about it. Pretty wild. I don't think I would want one though... the silence of being under water is one of my favorite things. Then again, on some of those long deco stops I do get a bit bored. But I usually find something to do.

T.D.S

$400 for a 64MB player...??

Nope. Looks like this will be a DIY project. I will keep everyone updated. :D =-)

That's exactly what I said to the guy when I saw that thing at Beneath the Sea.

I was trying to find out if they had any plans for splitting it up and starting to supply housings for other things. He said no.

I've got a NetMD player, which has a remote that plugs directly into the unit. Because of that I imagine mapping buttons to the unit would be incredibly easy [well, for people that know what they are doing that is].

I tried to convince him that they'd probably make a fortune selling the earphones and housings for some of the more popular digital players out there... but he didn't seem to interested.

Oh well, it's just a matter of time.

http://www.detectorpro.com/grayghost-underwater.htm

As I said, headphones can be probably purchased separately from a metal detector manufacturer. You may have to do some conversion from their connector to a standard stereo plug, but...

This is just the first thing that google popped up. It's pretty big and I'm concerned that there is no max depth listed.

No matter how you slice it, this project will probably be expensive. Looking around, I believe that you'll spend around $150 or so just on headphones.

The MP3 player shown seems to have some expandablility (via SmartMedia apparently), so the situation is a little better.

EDIT: Just found this...
http://www.chilembwe.net/anyboard/anyboard9/forum/posts/30.html

Sounds like you might be able to seal some mini-earphones with neoprene cement. Judging from this, the headphone's jacket/insulation over the wiring doesn't leak (in this case), so as long as the headphones and player are well sealed, it will work...

Go to the drugstore and buy some finger cots (those mini condoms) and pull them over the each side of the ear pieces. You can double bag them if you want and either use a small piece of duct tape or even a twist tie to anchor them in place. Then dip them in that liquid rubber stuff you use for shop tool handles and your ready to go. You can use the headset style or the little ear buds that would tuck in nicely under your hood. The wires are allready water proof (its a small ribbon wire that is dipped in the encasement at the factory.

As far as a case goes your on your own.

Speedo is coming out a MP3 player (64MB). It should hit the market new month or soon. However, I am not sure about the depth. It is design form swimming or Lap swim. check it out. I post the link as soon as I find it myself. I saw it in some fitness convention.

Now if someone made a housing for my ipod (need 200ft + rating), I would buy one in a heart beat whatever the price was. However, I wouldn't use it during the dive. Only during the hang. It would be great to listen to some audiobooks that I have in MP3 format.

Back
Top Bottom