Slap Strap mask strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jared2223

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Iam looking at purchasing a replacement slap strap for my mask online.... does anybody have or know if these are comfortable and durable enough for frequent dives?

I ended up taking mine off my mask, getting the replacement/OEM Atomic strap and getting a Pinnacle neoprene cover for it, much happier with it. I didn't like the velcro portion of the slap strap, it cut into my ears.

That would be a problem... where can you find a OEM Atomic strap?

I have one on my mask and have done a handful of dives with it. Have not had any issues whatsoever. I love it. My wife is going to be getting one for her mask as well.

I'm using the same slapstrap I bought when I was initially certified, which was in 1985! I have had it on three masks, and I will not dive without it. I have the velcro ends indexed to what is comfortable for my head, and it works perfectly. When I got a new mask (SeaVision, with bifocal correction) about two years ago, I got a new slapstrap and fitted it to my new mask (in lieu of the "factory" neoprene strap that came with the SeaVision mask). For some reason, I could never get the mask to fit correctly, regardless of a number of adjustments to the new slapstrap. In desparation I went back to my 20 year old original slapstrap, and haven't had a problem since.

I highly recommend one over a standard neoprene, I feel so much more comfortable in mine.

That would be a problem... where can you find a OEM Atomic strap?

What I meant was the strap that came with my Atomic brand mask, I put it back on, then bought this Pinnacle cover that slips over it:

Pinnacle Mask Strap Cover AC14NBK88 with reviews at scuba.com

What I should have said also, is there is obviously nothing wrong with the slap strap, just the way it happened to fit my head with my mask, the edges of the velcro were digging into the tops of my ears. My mask also has a ratcheting adjustment system which I liked a lot and does not work at all with the slap strap, so I decided to try this cover with the original strap that came with it.

So far I am happier with this choice.

I suggest trying both and seeing which works better for you if you can. :D

I only use slapstraps. There are also strap covers, which IMO aren't as good.

I've had the same slap strap for 2 years now diving most days of the week and have never had a problem. definately wouldn't change it!

Back
Top Bottom