Zeagle 6cf Pony bottle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lommnb

Reaction score
Does anyone have any experience with this bottle?
Is it airline safe? Can you completely disassemble it so that the TSA agent can look inside?
What are the limits of a 6cf bottle? What is the maximum depth that you can safely ascend with this bottle? (I know that this is a loaded question...)

I like the bottle for its compactness, but I am not sure of all of the details.

Thanks

Does anyone have any experience with this bottle?
Is it airline safe? Can you completely disassemble it so that the TSA agent can look inside?
What are the limits of a 6cf bottle? What is the maximum depth that you can safely ascend with this bottle? (I know that this is a loaded question...)

I like the bottle for its compactness, but I am not sure of all of the details.

Thanks

Its not like a spair air if that is what you are asking. The 6ft pony bottle is really more of a crutch then a pony for most applications which is why most people using a pony that I know prefer at minimum a 13 cf bottle.

How long would will last adn what depth and all of those other questions have the same variables as larger mainline tanks have in that you can take a 6ft to 130 foot and breathe off of it and still have no ill affects you would not suffer from the larger bottles. It is still air.

How long one last is again dependent on a wide range of variables too. Naturally a shallow breather would make significantly better use then a heavy breather would.

It is designed though to be an emergency alternate air source and I would not recommend due to its size that you go on it unless you are at about 60 feet or less (No scientific data or calculations guys just I would not do it)

Also keep in mind are you going to need deco stops? If you accidently exceed your NDL and run low enough on air to require a switch this may prove to have problems too with allowing ample time for no decompression stops.

All in all and this is only my opinion once again but if you are strictly within the NDLs and spend most of your time between 1 to 80 feet this may be benieficial but for just a little more green you can upsize the bottle to a 13 and rig it as a sling in multiple fashions and various ways to do just the same job and alot more gas for emergencies.

I have one and I have traveled with it. I assume you are talking about the 6 cf with integrated reg and transfill whip.

It's not a problem to disassemble for inspection. If you plan on doing this carry an extra neck o-ring because mine cracked and dried out very quickly. Maybe this was just a bad o-ring?

On a safety stop I got 8 breaths from it, so that tells you how useful it would be at depth (pressure v volume etc..)

I like the design. It's a cool piece of kit but I relegated it to argon use. When I return to diving shallow warm water I would use it again in a rec capacity...

When I had a ranger I really liked how the whole system zipped into the BCD as well!

If you are diving within NDL then a breath or two should get you to the surface in a pinch. But... There are literally hundreds of threads on this topic. Maybe check some of the solo diving threads?

I consume 1/2 cu ft of air per minute at the surface and likely 2 cu ft per minute at 4 ATM or 99 fsw. If you don't know your SAC rate (Surface Air Consumption) you should make that determination for dive planning.

With a 3 cu ft Spare Air, I got easily 45 to 50 breaths at 1 ATM (as advertised) and, therefore, believe that 10 to 12 breaths would be expected at 4 ATM or 99 FSW (and more if you're ascending from that depth continually). I now have the Zeagle 6 cu ft pony bottle and expect twice those amounts under the same conditions.

I use the Zeagle routinely for diving depths of 30 to 100 ft. Beyond 100 ft, I use a 19 cu ft. pony bottle.

Of course, testing for yourself is the best answer.

PADI MSDT Instructor

I have one and I have traveled with it. I assume you are talking about the 6 cf with integrated reg and transfill whip.

It's not a problem to disassemble for inspection. If you plan on doing this carry an extra neck o-ring because mine cracked and dried out very quickly. Maybe this was just a bad o-ring?

On a safety stop I got 8 breaths from it, so that tells you how useful it would be at depth (pressure v volume etc..)

I like the design. It's a cool piece of kit but I relegated it to argon use. When I return to diving shallow warm water I would use it again in a rec capacity...

When I had a ranger I really liked how the whole system zipped into the BCD as well!

If you are diving within NDL then a breath or two should get you to the surface in a pinch. But... There are literally hundreds of threads on this topic. Maybe check some of the solo diving threads?

Don't let the nay sayers here discourage you from getting a small pony bottle as a back up air source if that's what you want to do.
You'll find all kinds of posters that will calculate how few of breaths a 6 cf will give you and they will say what if you go into a deco dive and what if this and that, and then when you "panic" your air consumption, blah, blah, and then of course you have to do a 3 minute safety stop. Show me anywhere that a safety stop is a requirement when you have a complete system failure, which is why you are on your bail out air to begin with? Before you know it an 80 cf isn't big enough to do a recreational dive with. A few years back I took a 6 cf to Bonaire with me and tested it at depths to see what it would do for me personally. Applecorps gives you the best advice and test one for yourself. If you want a small pony for your peace of mind get one and test it yourself for it's intended purpose and see how it performs for you. (I'll apologize in advance for the grumpy post, but it's late and this topic pushes my buttons)

I have one in my Ranger, have dove it for 60 dives, and have used it twice: once in Bonaire to test it and ascended from 70ft at < 30 fpm and nearly made it through a full safety stop at 15ft. I used it a 2nd time a month ago while cold water diving and had a catastrophic free flow at 40ft despite a serviced very expensive and cold-rated reg. My HP100 went from 2800psi to zero in less than a minute. Again I got > 8 min off the 6 cft which allowed me to notify my buddy I was fine and heading up and easily head to the surface in a relaxed, non-SESA, and controlled fashion. I have a 20cft (also Zeagle which works with same reg), but 6cft is much better to travel with and plenty of emergency air above 80ft for rec diving IMHO.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back
Top Bottom