The "ghetto" Scuba Camera set-up

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tim R Alcoser JR

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I'm thinking of buying this:

Amazon.com: Waterproof Case for Apple iPhone 4, 4S - Also Works with iPod Touch, iPhone 3G, 3GS, & Other Smartphones - IPX8 Certified to 100 Feet: Electronics

to turn my iPhone into a Super Cool, hi-tech HD video/picture camera! :D

So look guys. I'm not rich. I'm a poor student who loves to dive and find smart, innovative ways to save money in any way I can until I start my career.

Supposedly, this case will stay dry up to 100 feet and it only cost $6, so you know it's not made in the USA or anything.

Most importantly to me, the reviews are varied, but they all affirm that it will watertight, even submerged and at depth.

Luckily I bought the extended warranty on the phone when I first bought it just in case, lol.

So, out of curiosity, has anyone ever tried something crazy like this?

*no offense to people who live in the ghetto.

Luckily I bought the extended warranty on the phone when I first bought it just in case, lol.
luckily...

Personally, I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig to try it. It says waterproof to 100', but it looks like a bag - not a hard case. I don't see how a bag would protect the phone under pressure. The phone might be dry, but probably crushed, too!

Personally, I wouldn't want to be the guinea pig to try it. It says waterproof to 100', but it looks like a bag - not a hard case. I don't see how a bag would protect the phone under pressure. The phone might be dry, but probably crushed, too!

This. Being dry is important. Being un-crushed is at least as important. At 100ft, you're going to be subjecting your iPhone to about 44PSI (assuming you're not actually moving it, since movement changes things, and not for then better...). So to get an idea what you're in for, take your iPhone, place a 1" block on the screen, and then put a 40lb weight on top of the block.

You did say you had the insurance, right?

Don't trash your iPhone. GoPro cameras aren't that expensive, and the housings are made for underwater filming.

Good points. Yes, my phone has insurance against all sorts of issues and problems. I don't plan to go down to 100 ft with my iphone. I was thinking 40 might be the max I would take it. I may also test it with something else inside the bag, like a piece of wood, and see how that fares as well.

I actually forgot about the used gear classifields here on the boards, so thanks for reminding me!

These bags are excellent. I carry soemthing similar all the time.

But I use them for things that pressure won't bother. Like a place to stash some cash, a credit card, or room key.

And you know what, I take that back. Ghetto my left foot. I paid top dollar for that iPhone and I already use it for everything from banking, finances, reading books/scuba magazines, gps, Ski Maps, booking trips, scanning for deals in the store, etc. I'm going to get every penny out of Apple I can...as long as I have insurance that will cover this sort of accident...in 20 feet of water only though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom