Intova vs. Go Pro Hero 3

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Choroni

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello,

I'm new into diving and want to get an underwater camera for my next trip to Utila. I wanted the Go Pro but the reviews aren't great. At the diving store they were trying to sell me the Intova 1080 PHD Sport HD II which is cheaper. I don't know what to do, any advice?

I was looking at a Go Pro, but could not find it for a reasonable price.

I looked at that, and passed. For me, it just did not have the options I wanted.

See if you can play with it in the store. Then make the decision.

Been very happy with the Sport HD1,more than adequate for my needs without breaking the bank. GoPro has a higher bitrate so you could say it does take better video for editing but the gopro and the accessories prices swing it to the Intova unless you absolutely need top end recording

Without getting to marketing BS, I'll just say I have been very happy with the Intova Sport. I suggest using an telescoping pole mount and definitely get a red filter. Makes all the difference in the world, below 20'. I don't use any lights.

BTW, customer service is very good. My original camera had a software issue, the download update didn't work, they sent me a new camera with no hassle at all. Nice folks.

I'm still curious to see UW footage of the Intova II camera with the "electronic red filter" enabled. Can't seem to find any.

Here are some video links in regards to the Intova HD Sport 2.

Intova Sport HD Camera - YouTube
Intova Mask Mount - YouTube
Intova Mask Gun Mount - YouTube
Intova Spear Gun Mount - YouTube
Intova Suction Cup Mount - YouTube
Intova Lens Filter - YouTube
Intova Mount Adapter - YouTube
Intova Helmet Strap - YouTube
Intova Spear Gun Rifle Mount - YouTube

I being the owner of both the Intova and a GoPro, lean more to the Intova side. Its to bad you live in New York instead of North Carolina. We allow our locals to take our store model out for a test drive. Several reasons I prefer the Intova are, price point $149.99, LCD preattached, multiple buttons operation, camera housing is attached to camera (not separate, ease of cleaning), accessories fit standard camera post, and I can use the same housing for above or below water footage. Hope this helps. If you have any further questions send me a pm.

Thanks Bryan. Very good info and even I did not know of the different mounts. I have the helemt mount and I would like to add that it has rubber strips on the back of the bands to assist in keeping it from slipping. The helment is also adjustable to fit different head, hoods and helmet sizes. I choose to place a piece of two sided tape on the backside of the mount to keep it from wobbling on the helmet. You may not need to do this but a friend and I are on scooters and the speed might cause some wobbling. Now taking the head harness to the next level I have used it on the scooter. Place it on and around the scooter, rotate the camera and you are off. I have yet to try it but I guess that you can scooter into the cave, stage the scooters, remove the head harness with camera, mount it on your head and continue deeper into the cave or wreck for that matter.

I've made my mind up to go for a Intova sport Hd. Wondering if anyone can comment on pros and cons of various mounts for diving? Considering a pole or a hand mount.
i want to take video and stills and am concerned that as people report the buttons are stiff, will the hand mount be useless and frustrating for anything other than continuos video?
do I need a mount at all or is hand held ok?
look forwards to your wisdom.

Here are our video reviews on the different mounts for the Intova HD Sport 2.

Intova Suction Cup Mount - YouTube
Intova Lens Filter - YouTube
Intova Helmet Strap - YouTube
Intova Mount Adapter - YouTube
Intova Mask Gun Mount - YouTube
Intova Spear Gun Mount - YouTube
Intova Mask Mount - YouTube
Intova Sport HD Camera - YouTube

The one that I prefer the most is the mask mount, however it will only work for framed mask. On frameless mask there is no way to attach it. The downside to the mask mount, is its sometimes a pain to adjust the cant just right depending on your profile or orientation in the water column (must be done prior to diving). I have dove in heavy current (Lake Keowee Hot Hole, and Ginnie Springs drift dive down the Sante Fe River) and have found no drag issue what so ever while using the mask mount. I also use this on my pistols during competition for training purposes, it lets me review my shooting form. The mask mount would not be good for still photos, because you can not see what is in the frame, even though you are looking right at the object. However, you can take screenshots of videos as far as I know with the Intova. The wrist mount is neat, but then again depends on how your body is position in the water column (whether you dive with your arms in front of you or beside you). We have found that holding the camera in your hand makes the video very shaky, no matter how still you think you are holding the camera. Since the Intova will fit standard camera mounts, you could use any type of camera pole. And another suggestion is to use the magenta filter for fresh water instead of the red. Salt water the red does better. Now here are some videos on the drift dives using the mask mount. Sorry about the jerky movements (all me not the camera).

Hot Hole Lake Keowee Trip 2 - YouTube
Hot Hole Lake Keowee Trip 1 - YouTube
PDRA Under Water Haunted Trail - YouTube

In the last video skip forward to 7:17 and 8:36 to see the mask mount in action (underwater mirror).

Lastly we also sell SeaLife cameras and have used all the mounts for them using the Intova. This tends to be the best that we have found if you choose to do still photos. As far as the buttons being stiff, this is not an issue with us. To me it keeps the buttons secure from leakage. Now of course you don't want debris getting in them and breaking the seals. And even with thick gloves, we have no problem pushing the buttons.

All in all this is an awesome little camera at a very affordable price. I use mine for diving, training, hunting, shooting, on my fire helmet while fighting fires, even use it for security purposes around the house.

I will add this, when hooking the camera to a monitor and reviewing your footage, be careful not to hyperextend the door on its hinges and be careful pushing the buttons on the inside of the housing. I have never damaged the buttons, but I do worry about it because they are so small. You can remove the memory card and use a card reader, unless you are hooking straight into an audio video hook up.

Hope this helps.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom