Preferred Underwater Signaling Device

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Floridian561

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
What's your preferred underwater signaling device?

I'm looking to purchase one and I'm leaning towards the AQUATEC Scuba-Horn (AH-126-01) or the AQUATEC Sub-Alert (AH-150-01).

What do you all use to get your buddie's attention underwater?

Nothing. Proper buddy technique means we don't need gimmicks like tank bangers, noisemakers, or air horns that annoy other divers and scare marine life. If you need to you can tap on your tank with a knife or other hard object. But if you find yourself doing this on a regular basis you and your buddy need to work on your buddy skills.
A light is a good device. Quiet, easy to see at night and in low vis, and does not annoy others or the fish.
On another note as a newer diver you should never be far enough away from your buddy to need a noisemaker to get his/her attention.

Most replies, if any, likely will be don't bother. Horrible noisy things unless maybe you're an instructor. At this point in your career, eye contact or personal contact. Or grunting.

I appreciate the advice. I typically dive with 4+ people so as I practice proper buddy technique with at least one person and sometimes I feel that something such as a horn/alert would attract the other group's attention to something. Or that one person who always goes out on his/her own.

In the 70 dives I've done, I've seen one such device on someone's BCD. I've heard it operated precisely 0 times. Seems like it would scare off any critters in the area which were capable of moving. In which case you'd probably catch a ration of **** from other groups when you get back on the boat for spoiling their dive.

Seems like a gimmick to me. OTOH it compliments a spare air canister nicely!

My finger?

First I wave it. If that does not work, then I use it to poke my dive buddy.

Anything noise related is just wrong - and tends to scare away the critter you are trying to point out....

---------- Post added April 8th, 2014 at 09:25 PM ----------

sometimes I feel that something such as a horn/alert would attract the other group's attention to something. Or that one person who always goes out on his/her own.
Cattle prod? Cattle prod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Back
Top Bottom