What should I buy with my remaining $250 in shop credit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaDoo83

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
For purchasing a higher end scuba package up front I was credited $500 to spend in the shop and have already cut that in half with the purchase of a wetsuit.

That package included:

-BC
-Reg set
-Diving computer

I was thinking save-a-dive kit, flashlight/knife and maybe some gloves.

Are weights worth purchasing? Like tanks I think if I'll be mostly traveling to dive these items will always be onsite and not to be considered a "needed" item.

What do you guys think?

A nice piece of travel luggage might be an idea. But your list is very good too.

I'm kickin around the idea of the Dive Caddy but I'm not totally sold my gear would all fit for carry on.

"I was thinking save-a-dive kit, flashlight/knife and maybe some gloves."

Those are all generally essential. However.... depending on your choices in dive destinations gloves may be forbidden.
Based on your limited description of plans a stupid big and expensive light is not warranted leaving you cash to spend.

While lead may be awaiting I prefer to have my own belt with keepers and/or pockets so I have control over that stuff. All weight in the BC is rarey an ideal choice especially when aluminum cylinders, a wetsuit and salt water are combined.

Do you also have good fins? If not move that to the top of the list.

Pete

"I was thinking save-a-dive kit, flashlight/knife and maybe some gloves."

Those are all generally essential. However.... depending on your choices in dive destinations gloves may be forbidden.
Based on your limited description of plans a stupid big and expensive light is not warranted leaving you cash to spend.

While lead may be awaiting I prefer to have my own belt with keepers and/or pockets so I have control over that stuff. All weight in the BC is rarey an ideal choice especially when aluminum cylinders, a wetsuit and salt water are combined.

Do you also have good fins? If not move that to the top of the list.

Pete

Yea the lights are pretty pricey and would chew up most of the budget. I was hoping I could get something less expensive online.

My BC is weight integrated. What were you saying about it being an issue with salt water?

I have Scubapro Twin Jet Max fins. Maybe not the best thing out but they sure seemed to move me with relative ease.

You are on the right track with your own gear. Now concentrate on safety items (and learning how to use them).
  • 6ft Safety sausage and finger spool
  • Dive light (get a good one)
  • cutting device ( I like the Trilobyte)
  • gloves
  • gear bag - if you don't have one at all, get a good mesh bag for local diving and on boats. When I fly, I now use a regular suitcase, but scrunch up my mesh bag to use for daily comings and goings on boats.

And go diving!

Compass

I have the Tilos bag - it folds up into it's own pocket for transport. And holds everything I dive with. Get one with backpack straps. Amazon.com : Tilos Mesh Backpack Bag for Scuba Diving, Snorkeling, and More, black : Sports & Outdoors Some of the Stahlsac's come with a dry pocket - wish I had one. The bag is stowed under your seat so your gear drips on it.

If you dive in the Caribbean gloves are illegal in the marine parks because wearing gloves encourages touching coral. So IMO $20 3MM gloves work fine. If your plan is to wreck dive, you'll want good gloves. Of course in cold water you'll need the appropriate thickness gloves. I don't even know where my gloves are.

Cutting device - get two. Trilobyte's are nice but only handle situations where you can get the line in the throat. Back it up with surgical shears or a good knife. You can't generate enough force with a Trilobyte to cut some solid steel leaders etc. Even cheap shears cut thicker metal - I've seen a penny cut in half. Only buy shears with stainless steel pivot screws - cheaper ones rust out in a year. I also have a sweet Titanium 4" blunt nose knife. Mounted on one side of my BC - the shears on the other. Never know which hand you'll be using to cut yourself free.

Unless you're going to local dive (or drive to the ocean) with your tanks there's no reason to buy weight. In 33 years I have never been anywhere it wasn't provided as part of the tank rental. Except maybe SoCal because some boats there don't provide tanks either. I dive warm water, AL-80's (standard resort tank) with my weight integrated BC with no control problems. I shoot video so I really have to be able to hold in the water column. My BC has rear trim pockets - I find 70/30 weight split is optimal, 60/40 I can live with.

If you're going to buy a light, I'm having really good luck with the Cree Led's - the name of the techology, not a brand. They're bright, white light.

You might look at spring straps for your fins also - good ones go in the $30-50 range. And you never have to worry about breaking one again.

Get a backup mask also. They're cheap insurance when you lose/drop yours. Or someone drops a tank on it. I bought a $25 Sherwood advertised as a soft skirt - it's soft enough to fold it and stick in a BC pocket. Not to be confused with $100 Frameless masks.

My concern with the Dive Caddy is not that it will hold all my gear. My concern is that with 25" long fins, there's no way it will fit into the 22" sizing box at the gate. United just started enforcing 22x14x9 (the industry standard) in some airports. So if they take your Dive Caddy and gate check it, I'd worry about my gear being protected. I've had my legal carry-on roller taken when the plane was full - at my destination I didn't recover it at the gate, it went thru the baggage system.

Last edited:
Is it safe to assume that you own a pair of booties?
Does your reg set have an analog depth gauge? This would be important in the absence of a computer.

I'd second the recommendations for safety essentials. Knives are cool and all (I own a few) but shears and cutters are more convenient. If you go for shears, don't waste your credit on the fancy and expensive titanium ones (I own a pair) - they just just as much as the SS ones for $15 or less.

Compass, DMSB, computer, cutting implements (good to have a backup), and light would be high on my list.

If you only think you will mostly be a travelling diver, I'd pick up some weight, too. Your dive buddy may not have enough extra to share if a dive opportunity presents itself. On the other hand, if you don't have exposure protection warm enough for your current locale, it's not a necessary expense.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom