What Are The Bare Essential Dive Accessories???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

toddville393

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
So I've bought all my crucial gear BCD (BP/W), Regs, Computer, SPG, wetsuit, fins, mask, snorkel, weights, and I'm holding off on a tank until I can find one used for the right price. My question is what are some accessories that every diver should have both in and out of the water? Like dive knife, light, safety sausage, etc? I plan on buying all these things eventually, I don't want to break the bank just yet so I'm trying to just get the bare essentials for now.

The bare essentials are just what you need to execute the dive. No such animal as "essential accessory". What you buy beyond the basic gear depends entirely on where and how you dive.

If your dive sites are dark, then you need a light.
If you will be in flat, open areas you could benefit from compass (as long as you understand how to use it)
If you will be in open ocean where it's possible a current could seperate you from the group then you NEED a safety sausage.

Regardless of where you dive, you need to get a cutting tool and I recommend a set of EMT shears. I know many shops sell them with a belt pouch. What you don't need is the "rambo knife" so many shops sell to unsuspecting newbs.

I'll echo fire_diver on his input, I'll also add to that a whistle or other noise making device. Especially if diving off a boat in the ocean. Yeah, leave the rambo knife at home...the hoses you save may be your own!

If you haven't already, put together a Save-A-Dive kit that includes a small set of tools, at a minimum a set of allen wrenches, and two small adjustable wrenches. Having an extra hose low pressure inflator hose, and an extra regulator hose as well as the normal suggestion of mask strap, fin strap, zip ties and o-rings has saved many a dive for me (or my buddy) in the past.

If you haven't already, put together a Save-A-Dive kit that includes a small set of tools, at a minimum a set of allen wrenches, and two small adjustable wrenches. Having an extra hose low pressure inflator hose, and an extra regulator hose as well as the normal suggestion of mask strap, fin strap, zip ties and o-rings has saved many a dive for me (or my buddy) in the past.

Just make sure your tools aren't basic steel. If they don't have a chrome or nickel plate (or are stainless) you will have a set of VERY rusty tools very quickly.

So when it comes to a cutting device what is best to have; a Knife, Shears, or a Line Cutter (like the EEZYCUT)?

Shears AND trilobite (or similar).
Ok cool. I want to keep my rig as slimline as possible but I didn't know if just a Trilobite would be enough. I guess not.

Even though you may never need it, a cutting tool is essential. You can not generate enough force underwater to break most fishing line, then you can also get steel leader-line, and ocean fishing line. Many diver destinations are "protected" reefs so they won't let you carry a knife but there are still people illegally fishing out there so it's still possible to get tangled.

BTW- this is also why it's a very important skill to practice removing and replacing your BC underwater. When you get tangled it's almost always around your tank or regulator where you can't see or reach. Loose line in the water will grab you like it's alive and trying to kill you. I think it's the way we move in the water that pulls it to us and then makes it loop and swirl around us.

Back
Top Bottom