BuddyBuzz - NEED OPINIONS FOR THIS NEW DEVICE

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hey everyone, I’m hoping to get your opinion on a scuba diving communication device called a BuddyBuzz. I was inspired to start developing this while on a recent diving trip.

I always seemed to miss out on cool fish because I was looking in the wrong direction at the wrong time. By the time my buddy swam over to me to get my attention,the fish was long gone. I wanted a way to get my buddy’s attention quickly and easily.

Hence, the BuddyBuzz. It’s a small watch-size device that you and your buddy both have, allowing you to buzz (think of your phone’s text vibration) their wrist without obnoxiously clanking on your tank or swimming all the way over to them. It will allow you to communicate with your buddy(ies) underwater, while still maintaining the tranquility of scuba diving.

Would you buy this device? Why or why not? Thanks for all/any input!

Maybe. It would simplify pointing out stuff.

How cheap

What is the range?

If it was real small and cheap with easy to change batteries I might use it from time to time.

Would you feel the vibration through a 7mm?

H By the time my buddy swam over to me to get my attention,the fish was long gone. I wanted a way to get my buddy’s attention quickly and easily.

Try staying closer to your buddy.

As for a "BuddyBuzz" -- I would not buy one. At any price.

Maybe. It would simplify pointing out stuff.

How cheap

What is the range?

If it was real small and cheap with easy to change batteries I might use it from time to time.

Would you feel the vibration through a 7mm?

The initial product would be around $35 because of its simplicity, being just a button one pushes to alert a friend and the range would be up to 40 ft. Yes, you would be able to feel it through a 7mm

---------- Post added June 29th, 2015 at 09:08 PM ----------

Thanks for your reply, I'd love to hear your feedback on why you wouldn't buy one?

---------- Post added June 29th, 2015 at 09:09 PM ----------

Try staying closer to your buddy.

As for a "BuddyBuzz" -- I would not buy one. At any price.

Thanks for your reply, I'd love to hear your feedback on why you wouldn't buy one?

Many times I have wanted to signal my buddy but he was to far away looking in another direction using his GoPro. Tried the "shaker" years ago but hate the rattle.

Think buzzer would be great to get buddy's attention for whatever reason without getting the attention of everyone else. Would probably buy one as long as vibration was strong enough to be felt (I've somehow missed my phone vibrating before) and it had a long lasting power source even though the device would probably be sporadically used while diving (otherwise it could become a nuisance.)

It solves a problem I don't have.

So it's a product intended for buddy divers who aren't actually buddy diving. Like Spare Air.

You'd probably sell tons of them. Just not to me.

Many times I have wanted to signal my buddy but he was to far away looking in another direction using his GoPro. Tried the "shaker" years ago but hate the rattle.

Think buzzer would be great to get buddy's attention for whatever reason without getting the attention of everyone else. Would probably buy one as long as vibration was strong enough to be felt (I've somehow missed my phone vibrating before) and it had a long lasting power source even though the device would probably be sporadically used while diving (otherwise it could become a nuisance.)

Thank you for sharing your thoughts and a situation where this would have been useful for you!

---------- Post added June 30th, 2015 at 09:35 PM ----------

So it's a product intended for buddy divers who aren't actually buddy diving. Like Spare Air.

You'd probably sell tons of them. Just not to me.

Thanks for replying, is it just because you have never had a buddy who was distracted by a camera or looking in a different direction and out of arm's reach?

Hey everyone, I’m hoping to get your opinion on a scuba diving communication device called a BuddyBuzz. I was inspired to start developing this while on a recent diving trip.

I always seemed to miss out on cool fish because I was looking in the wrong direction at the wrong time. By the time my buddy swam over to me to get my attention,the fish was long gone. I wanted a way to get my buddy’s attention quickly and easily.

Hence, the BuddyBuzz. It’s a small watch-size device that you and your buddy both have, allowing you to buzz (think of your phone’s text vibration) their wrist without obnoxiously clanking on your tank or swimming all the way over to them. It will allow you to communicate with your buddy(ies) underwater, while still maintaining the tranquility of scuba diving.

Would you buy this device? Why or why not? Thanks for all/any input!

Truly get some advance diving class and learn diving (also your buddy too) - you will learn underwater communication much and skills to cooperate , much better than any silly and noisy device.

I have seen that book useful or not decide by yourself ( fish signals ?) Scuba Diving Hand Signals - Underwater communication for recreational scuba divers , Scuba Diving Hand Signals: Underwater Communication Pocket Companion for Recreational Scuba Divers: Lars Behnke: 9781502488480: Amazon.com: Books

Actually it sounds pretty good to me, not that I would use one, but if others would, I would not have the urge to kill someone over incessant tank banging or rattling which interupts the tranquility of my dive.

Bob
----------------
Grumpy old diver.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom