Dive knife recommandations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SlyDog

New
Reaction score
Hey everybody. This is my first post on this board and I am a relativlely new diver. I have all my own equipment except a dive knife so I am curious as what to get ?? Any suggestions of any that aren't to pricey? Thanks in advance!

My dad recomends getting EMT shears or the Sea Snips. They cut most everything with only one hand, and cost only about 12 dollars. I like the Ocean Master Titanium knife myself.

I like shears better than a knife. But if you get a knife, get a smaller one to mount on your BC that can be accessed and used with one hand. You really don't need those big machete sized ones! They are more of a tangle hazard than anything else.

Just my .02

Oh yea.....Welcome to the pond!

Originally posted by Zellet
My dad recomends getting EMT shears or the Sea Snips. They cut most everything with only one hand, and cost only about 12 dollars. I like the Ocean Master Titanium knife myself.

Greetings nice to have you aboard the SCUBABOARD.
I just wanted to second my comments.

I carry both scissors and a knife. I prefer a small blunt tip knife mounted on the BC. Rather than EMT shears I carry heavy duty fishing shears - stainless by Fiskers.
Sometimes I carry my old USD 7" blade pig-sticker on the inside of my left calf - just for old time's sake :)
Rick

Welcome to the board.

I use the Remora by UK. It is a small knife that can attach to your BC or any hose. I have mine attached to my low pressure inflator hose. It is always in sight, so I don't have to feel around to find it.

Mike M

I have a small blunt tip Wenoka Squeeze Lock knife mounted on my BC and am getting a set of shears too.

SlyDog, there is merit to what you have been told, but without knowing your plans it is impossible to answer your question. Are you planning to swim reefs and sight see? Are you planning to dive ponds where trash has been dumped? Are you diving where lots of fishing takes place? Are you planning to spearfish? Each of those situations require different configurations. The right way for one is not the right way for another. Shears or a small blunt dull knife with a sharp line cutter is fine for most situations, but a large sharp knife is frequently needed when hunting.

DSSW,

WWW™

Greetings Slydog...and welcome...

You don't need a big expensive knife for most diving....

A small ss paring knife kept sharp and with the point ground off works great for sharpening pencils and cutting line. I keep mine in a small scabbard on my waist strap... friction fit.

EMT shears can be clipped on in a pocket using a ss double end barrel clip.... shove a piece of tubing over the blades to keep them together and protect your suit.... shears work great for cutting SS downrigger line.

A fillet knife is good to take along if you are cutting Rock Scallops.

Hello,

A wise man once said if you want to keep anything from rusting/corroding then keep it OUT of saltwater! :wink:

The key to any cutting edge for diving is the material used. I.e. if you want a razor sharp edge then your forced to have higher concentrations of carbon, as we all know carbon is very easily broken down by saltwater. (quick test: drop a razor blade in salt water for a few mins., remove it and look at it the next day)

The secret is the right mixture of materials for the job at hand. I.e. sheers tends to have high amounts of carbon so they rust easily. Especially in the rivot. These titanium dive knives have problems keeping a good sharp edge (hence the word SHARP)

I have discovered that for my applications it is best to use a mixture of the two :) I mostly use mine to cut fishing line, webbing (i.e. cut my buddies bc/wetsuit/weight belt/etc) and rope. I bought a pair of sheers, and a buck tiburon. http://www.buckknives.com/products/details.php?ID=33 The interesting side to the tiburon is not just the metal but it has no classic handle, it's just a skeleton. Hence EASY to clean.

Another factor that comes into play is the tensile strength of the blade. I.e. use for prying or stabing?

Cleaning is another factor to consider. Do you want something that's high maintance or something you can neglect? Typicaly the higher carbon the more maintance you must do.

In short the trade offs are this:

High edge retention = high maintance and easily corroded/rusted
Low edge retention = low maintance and almost impossible to keep a good sharp edge

Low corrosion/rusting = hard to keep/hold an edge
High corrosion/rusting = very easy to keep/hold an edge

Hard blade = easily chiped/broken
Soft blade = easily bent

In order to get a perfect diving knife you need to answer all the above questions and what will you be using it for.

Hope this helps.

Ed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom