(03 JUL 05) Diver Injured After Being Pulled Through Pipe

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver

Contributor
Reaction score
PORT SHELDON, Mich. -- A 40-year-old Lake Michigan diver was found in a retention pond Saturday after being sucked into a power plant's intake system and pulled through 2,500 feet of pipe.

The Grayling woman, whose name was not released, was taken to North Ottawa Community Hospital for treatment of minor injuries, Ottawa County Sheriff's Department deputies told The Holland Sentinel.

She was diving off Port Sheldon with three others when she was sucked through the 8-foot-wide pipeline. Sgt. Jeff Somers said the other divers called for help when they discovered she was missing.

Consumers Energy workers found her in the pond. It was the first time in 25 years that someone had been sucked into the intake pipe, said Dennis McKee, a Consumers Energy spokesman.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/4679689/detail.html

detroit diver:
PORT SHELDON, Mich. -- A 40-year-old Lake Michigan diver was found in a retention pond Saturday after being sucked into a power plant's intake system and pulled through 2,500 feet of pipe.

The Grayling woman, whose name was not released, was taken to North Ottawa Community Hospital for treatment of minor injuries, Ottawa County Sheriff's Department deputies told The Holland Sentinel.

She was diving off Port Sheldon with three others when she was sucked through the 8-foot-wide pipeline. Sgt. Jeff Somers said the other divers called for help when they discovered she was missing.

Consumers Energy workers found her in the pond. It was the first time in 25 years that someone had been sucked into the intake pipe, said Dennis McKee, a Consumers Energy spokesman.

http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/4679689/detail.html

My first thought, thank goodness she's OK
My second thought, I hope to heck they guard that thing before it causes real harm and gets their butts sued, if it's not already too late.
My third thought, holy cow what a ride.

I sincerely hope the diver is fine long term in every way.

Pete

2500 feet is a LONG way to not know where you're going!

Met a guy who was missing an ear. After a few beers I thought it would be OK to inquire how he came to be minus the ear. It wasn't like he was Vincent van Gogh or somebody. Anyhow he told me he had been hired to clear a clogged overflow pipe in a lake. He said everything was lovely until he removed one stick that broke up the obstruction. He said the ride was a rush until he had to make the 90 degree turn. Scraped his ear off. I still find this somewhat amusing.

More From The Grand Rapids Press | Subscribe To The Grand Rapids Press
Diver sucked into pipe survives
Sunday, July 03, 2005
By Shandra Martinez and Ted Roelofs
The Grand Rapids Press
PORT SHELDON TWP.-- Forty feet below the Lake Michigan surface and a third of a mile off shore, one moment diver Joan Eddy was there.

And then she wasn't.

As her three frantic companions feared the worst, Eddy on Saturday was sucked through an 8-foot water intake pipe for the Consumers Energy J.H. Campbell power plant near Pigeon Lake in Ottawa County.

Advertisement

Eddy, 40, of Grayling, tumbled in total darkness through the pipe nearly a half-mile before she emerged seven minutes later in an open-air canal inside plant property.

Her only injury: a bloody nose.

"She was very lucky," said Dennis McKee, Consumers Energy's director of public affairs for power plants.

McKee confirmed that the pipe located 1,700 feet off shore has no grate on it nor warning signs nearby. He said a diver should avoid danger by staying clear of the pipe.

"It is a diver's responsibility to use all due caution whenever they dive, whether it be in a shipwreck or in caves or near an intake for an industrial facility," McKee said.

McKee said it is the only incident of its type in 25 years.

Diving with her husband and two others, Eddy disappeared shortly after 11 a.m. They surfaced and called 911. Search and rescue divers were called and an extensive air and water search began.

Consumers also was notified. An employee spotted her climbing up the banks of the plant's intake canal, a body of water about a quarter-mile long in a fenced-in area. She was assisted with removing her diving equipment and given medical attention at the site, McKee said. Rescuers said her only injury was a bloody nose.

An hour later she was reunited with her husband at the Pigeon Lake boat ramp, where he arrived with the 38-foot Chris-Craft boat from which they had been diving. Even before he stepped out of the boat, the two embraced tightly.

Through Port Sheldon Deputy Fire Chief Mike Ter Vree, she declined to talk about her ordeal.

"She's been on a helluva ride," said Ter Vree, who made headlines in 1996 when he made a dramatic rescue of an 8-year-old girl swept into Holland's street sewer system.

The extensive rescue operation also included sheriff's deputies, the county dive team and marine patrol, the U.S. Coast Guard, a helicopter, and rescue boats from area townships.

McKee said there is no warning sign near the mouth of intake pipes because they would be quickly overgrown with weeds.

"The incident is under review," he said.

Consumers brings in water from Lake Michigan to cool turbines and generators that produce electricity. Water flows in the pipe at six feet per second, McKee said.

Consumers is one of many companies that have intake pipes in Lake Michigan.

Holland has bars across its intake pipe for the Board of Public Works treatment plant near Tunnel Park. The bars are about a foot apart on the 42-inch-wide pipe, which is 45 feet below the surface and 4,500 feet from shore.

"I don't believe a person could fit through it," said John Van Uffelen, water plan director.

Veteran diver Jim Broersma, 35, of Zeeland, said he was diving with a buddy at a wreck site near Saugatuck when they heard radio traffic about the missing diver. They offered assistance and reached the scene after Eddy had been found.

Broersma said he doesn't understand why the pipe is not protected.

"They should have had a grate on it. When you are in an enclosed environment like that, there is no escape. Let's say the woman was just about out of air. She would have been in trouble."

© 2005 Grand Rapids Press. Used with permission

Print This E-mail This

MORE NEWS

Friends of mine diving in Lake Michigan heard the Coast Guard radio transmissions about the dive emergency and traveled to the scene to assist. At the time it was a missing diver situation. By the time they arrived the diver was reported ok.
From what I was told, as the diver was sucked into the pipe another diver tried unsuccessfully to rescue her until she disappeared into the pipe. Divers have complained about the lack of a protective grate and were told by Consumers Power the safety modification was too expensive. I was also told the security guard who found the diver on the plant property gave her a hard time and seemed more concerned about her being in the facility than her condition. She located a phone and alerted her dive team that she was ok.
Its disturbing that the plant spokesman blamed the incident on the diver. The idea that weed growth would prevent a warning sign from being helpful is pretty lame. The pipe needs a grate and a warning sign.
Its too bad the diver was unwilling to share her experience with the Grand Rapids Press reporter. I bet if it happened to someone else she'd be interested in knowing the details. Thank God she's ok.
Rex

cnctina:
"It is a diver's responsibility to use all due caution whenever they dive, whether it be in a shipwreck or in caves or near an intake for an industrial facility," McKee said.

Poll: While McKee speaks truth, in this example he clearly demonstrates that he is a:

1) Dork
2) Lawyer or otherwise acting to avoid litigation
3) Psychopath

And exactly how were they were supposed to know that they were diving next to "intake for an industrial facility"?

(Yes, this is a callous statement. Regardless, please understand the definition of "psychopath" prior to responding.) :crafty:

Glad she's OK!

bgi:
Poll: While McKee speaks truth, in this example he clearly demonstrates that he is a:

1) Dork
2) Lawyer or otherwise acting to avoid litigation
3) Psychopath

And exactly how were they were supposed to know that they were diving next to "intake for an industrial facility"?

(Yes, this is a callous statement. Regardless, please understand the definition of "psychopath" prior to responding.) :crafty:

Glad she's OK!

VERY glad she's OK.

Not a psy-cholog/chiatr-ist, but I'm going with 2) because it's more specific. I think 1) is correct in that you have to be a dork to say that, for whatever reason, with a straight face, but 20 is better.

i can't imagine being sucked through a pipe over 8 football fields long and keeping my cool the whole way. Maybe I could hold it together for 200 yards, but by the end of that ride she had to be so full of adrenaline and panic wondering where she was, if she could get out, and what was she going to run into at the end. That is a frigtening tale and am very glad she lived to dive another day. lets hope they put a grill or a couple of cross bars on the end of that pipe.

Back
Top Bottom