Situational Awareness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

2Tours N Iraq`

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'd like to take a minute to remind everyone to maintain a high level of situational awareness while diving. While doing my check out dives in Crystal River, Florida (an area known for scuba diving) a boater carelessly disregarded the swimming area and brazenly piloted his craft directly above us. Thankfully we were down deep enough and could tell this idiot was coming towards us from the sound of his propeller to not ascend. No one was hurt and we continued on with the dive but it could have turned out quite differently. Thankfully by staying alert, the two other divers and I stayed alive. I told my instructor two little sayings we use in the Army that has really paid dividends underwater:

"Slow is smooth and smooth is fast" and "Stay Alert, stay alive."

These two little sayings will help keep you focused to do things the with precision and understand what all is happening around you. By taking your time and doing it right the first time, you can think through a problem instead of panicing. Just my two cents worth. If this helps just one diver, then this post has been a success. Safe diving everyone!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom