Stingray City Grand Cayman Bite

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gregpsych

Registered
Reaction score
Anyone else had problems at Stingray City? I got nailed by a big ray right after I descended. Grabbed on to my upper arm leaving a brusie 8 inches in diameter. There was a lump the size of a softball for two days. I got nailed before I had touched the squids that we fed them. There were seven of us on the dive--4 of us got bitten. Later, several locals remarked that I had a stingray hickie which seemed to suggest these attacks are common.

Greg

I've never done the Stingray feeding, but when you drop into the middle of a bunch of animals that came to eat, you can't be really surprised if something checks you out to see if you're food.

Terry

gregpsych:
Anyone else had problems at Stingray City? I got nailed by a big ray right after I descended. Grabbed on to my upper arm leaving a brusie 8 inches in diameter. There was a lump the size of a softball for two days. I got nailed before I had touched the squids that we fed them. There were seven of us on the dive--4 of us got bitten. Later, several locals remarked that I had a stingray hickie which seemed to suggest these attacks are common.

Greg

I was bitten there two years ago and had a nice "hickie" for a week or so. If you play with the bull you're eventually going to get the horns. These are fish in the wild that we humans are messing with... we should be happy just to leave with a bruise.

Probabally touched your arm with something that smelled yummy. They can't see what they're trying to eat, so, they rely on their sense of smell.

All the best, James

I've done that dive but no issues with bits. The one they warn you about is the near sighted eel with one eye..... watch those fingers.....

did you have on something silver my wife had on a silver swim suit and they would leave her alone. Of course neither would the DM lol

gregpsych:

Greg
They say there are Two things you can take home from the Caymans
  1. A sunburn
  2. A Hickie
I have never had one but several times I have rubbed others with a squid and just sat back and laughed

I am a cold SOB!

Did you see the eel with the cateracts?
If so its a fairly gentle eel but its had quite a history of biting the foolish tourist that know no better.

As said, they are wild animals, its all part of the risk.

This is one reason I wear a full wetsuit.

About three years ago my daughter got a stingray hickie there as well. And on the same dive on of the yellowtail snappers bit my son's finger going for the squid he had in his hand. Not a big deal for such a neat dive. Like was mentioned above, if you're in the water with a bunch of marine life and food, you might get bitten!

debersole:
About three years ago my daughter got a stingray hickie there as well. And on the same dive on of the yellowtail snappers bit my son's finger going for the squid he had in his hand. Not a big deal for such a neat dive. Like was mentioned above, if you're in the water with a bunch of marine life and food, you might get bitten!

Those Yellow Tails are ruthless little beasts!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom