Bermuda Diver Dies

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

joeabroad

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
http://www.theroyalgazette.com/sift...le.jsp?articleId=7d783cb30030000&sectionId=60

Published: August 7. 2007 03:28PM

Diver dies after desperate two mile swim to shore

A 58-year-old Bermudian woman died suddenly last night after being stranded two-miles off of Bermuda while scuba diving.

At 4.15 p.m. yesterday afternoon, the woman, today named as Patricia Steinhoff, along with her husband and two of their friends, who were visiting the Island, anchored their boat and went diving.

After diving to about 25 feet at Southwest Breakers, a popular diving spot, for over an hour, the four surfaced at 5.35 p.m. to find their boat had somehow broken from its anchoring and drifted away.

With little other choice the stranded scuba divers began the two-mile swim back to the shore near Granaway Heights Road and Southampton Road, on South Shore.

According to the Police, along the way, Mrs Steinhoff, a mother of three sons, ran into difficulties and was aided by her husband and their two friends.

When all four finally reached the shore, the scuba divers walked to the nearest residence where the homeowner called Emergency Services.

A Police spokesperson said they received a call at 6.03 p.m. and paramedics arrvived soon afterwards, but Mrs Steinoff was pronounced dead at the scene at 6.45 p.m..

A Police spokesman said: "We would like to express our sincere condolences to the family and friends of the deceased."

The motorboat was later recovered off of Daniel's Head, in Somerset, and a Police spokesperson said it appeared to have broken off the mooring.

That's an awful shame but clearly illustrates why there is a rule saying you should always have someone topside in the boat.

My condolences to the family and their friends.

Wow, sad news, one of my biggest fears....check the anker (5:1) and dive close to it.

i'm still pretty new at diving, but this still sounds odd to me...

i mean, if you have an orally-inflatable bc, you blow it up and you float. 2 miles with fins, a snorkle, a mask and an inflated bc isn't all that far. after looking at the weather, it was a bit windy at the airport (15mph) and low swells (nothing over 5ft) but nothing that should've caused tremendous issues.

maybe i'm just a bit jaded, though, after watching the hawaiian ironman with swimmers going 2.4 miles with no fins, no bc, and just goggles...

sad either way.

I've never same 2 miles in scuba gear, but I'm will to bet it isn't very easy. Especially, if there is a strong current. I've swam a 1/4 mile to a boat before in a strong current and it was exhausting.

RowingMunkeyCU:
i'm still pretty new at diving, but this still sounds odd to me...

i mean, if you have an orally-inflatable bc, you blow it up and you float. 2 miles with fins, a snorkle, a mask and an inflated bc isn't all that far. after looking at the weather, it was a bit windy at the airport (15mph) and low swells (nothing over 5ft) but nothing that should've caused tremendous issues.

maybe i'm just a bit jaded, though, after watching the hawaiian ironman with swimmers going 2.4 miles with no fins, no bc, and just goggles...

sad either way.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom