missing divers in cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viper001

Reaction score
I was in cozumel for carinval and diving the last week of january. my boat was comming back from chacaab reef when our boat captian got off the radio and asked that eveyone aborad keep an eye out for 2 missing divers. he told us that a groupe of divers doing devils throat had one diver that apperently suffered a heart attack while on the dive. the dive master had brought the heart attack victum up but had lost sight of two other divers comming out of devils throat at 130ft.

Welcome to SB. I understand that this is a story you're passing along after hearing it from your skipper who heard it on the radio and that the respective facts just may be totally different. Heart attack or not, the rumor is that the DM brought one diver up from the Throat and lost sight of the other two...?

Haven't heard anything about lost divers, and we have many Coz regulars and operators who post on SB. Altho the Throat is pretty far south, there are still many boats cruising those water regularly, they are great about picking up strays, the prevailing current carries one north to heavier boat traffic, so as long as they established buoyancy and popped their sausages - very little chance of being lost long. I was picked up there once.

No, not even close! Punta Sur and Devils Throat is not a true cave! Many openings and they had cleared the throat according to the rumor!

Wasn't that on the mainland? He said Devil's Throat, didn't he?

Welcome to the board, viper001.

News of missing divers are always distressing, regardless of location....two divers, two persons, two lives..... Pray that they are safely recovered.... Anyone with updates on this incident?

Welcome to the board, viper001.

News of missing divers are always distressing, regardless of location....two divers, two persons, two lives..... Pray that they are safely recovered.... Anyone with updates on this incident?
As I tried to suggest, we do not have news. There was a rumor that the DM lost sight of two while dealing with an emergency. I suppose the DM and Skipper took the injured diver ashore to meet an ambulance, radioed others to watch for them and pick them up, and that's probly what happened - often is. I'm curious about the injured diver, and wish them all well, but we do not have any news really.

Wasn't that on the mainland? He said Devil's Throat, didn't he?

The timing is a bit different but it was offshore. Translation issues scewed the original post. This happened in December, but it was Devil's Throat. You have to read several posts into it because it sounds like a cave dive at first. This may not be it at all, but it is the only incident close to the description. But, if the radio request happened while viper001 was onboard than this is not the incident. I re-read it after I posted.

The December incident was off of Puerta Vallarta, different Ocean.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom