Shark bites liveaboard guest

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cappyjon431

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I've participated in over 200 shark feeds with my former employer (while I generally disdain the practice, I always felt the guests would be safer with me in the water than with me out of the water), but never saw anyone come close to getting bit during a feed. I just read the following article:

Man, 50, bit by shark while diving
By Macollvie Jean-François | Sun-Sentinel.com
2:32 PM EST, February 24, 2008
Article tools
E-mail Share
Digg Del.icio.us Facebook Fark Google Newsvine Reddit Yahoo Print Reprints Text size: FORT LAUDERDALE - A shark bit man diving in the ocean Sunday, prompting a hasty mayday call to the U.S. Coast Guard to come hoist him to a hospital Sunday, the federal agency said.

The victim, 50, was diving about 50 miles east of Fort Lauderdale beach when the shark bit him about 10 a.m., Coast Guard spokesman Petty Officer Nick Ameen said. A crewmember aboard the 70-foot Sheerwater, a commercial diving vessel, put in the mayday call to the Coast Guard.

The agency immediately launched its HH-65 Dolphin rescue helicopter, Ameen said. The rescue crew hoisted the man off the boat and flew him to Jackson Memorial Hospital in Miami for treatment, Ameen said.

Ameen did not yet know where on his body the man was bitten, his condition, nor what he was diving to find.

The Sheerwater is homeported in Riviera Beach.

Anyone hear of any specific details? I'm very curious is this was a feed or not. Thanks!

I'm curious to hear some details of what happened also.

Very strange for shark to attack like that.... So fan, new reports on this has been scant...

Isn't Abernathy doing some type of tiger shark encounter on the Sheerwater now?

Abernathy does cageless Tiger and Hammerhead encounters off of the Shearwater. Based on the schedule on their website they should be in the middle of one right now.

JASA: Bahamas Live-Aboard Rates and Availability

Have seen some of the footage from their trips on the Discovery Channel. Amazing stuff, but it does have some inherent risks. Will be interested in seeing the details. Hope the guy is ok.

I got bit by a burro at a petting zoo when I was a kid. Animals bite. What's the big deal.

On the Explorer out of Exuma, we stopped off at a site that other Ops use for feeds. We circled around the bucket as if, but that Op doesn't feed - the fish didn't fall for it. Did get a few pics of them on the adjacent reef, tho

Attachments

• Day 5-01.jpg
    Day 5-01.jpg
    53.7 KB · Views: 469
  • Day 5-02.jpg
    Day 5-02.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 530
  • Day 5-03.jpg
    Day 5-03.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 380
  • Day 5-04.jpg
    Day 5-04.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 471
  • Day 5-06.jpg
    Day 5-06.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 437
  • Day 5-43.jpg
    Day 5-43.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 503
  • Day 5-44.jpg
    Day 5-44.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 450
From the look of their itineraries, bull sharks aren't the focus of their dives.

I wonder what went on down there? Shark attacks on submerged divers are so rare that yes, this is a big story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom