Two divers missing Whitsunday Islands

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

im sure it cost a packet but the infrastructure and trained staff are ready for this so

im glad it has a happy ending

will be interesting to hear how they managed thru the night - cant imagine how horrible it would have been

will be interesting to hear how they managed thru the night - cant imagine how horrible it would have been
Yep, wonder if they'd seen the stupid movie? Mostly I wonder how they failed to stay with the group and what signal devices they carried?

Wonder who will play the girl in the next movie...?

Nice to hear a happy ending once in a while.

:D:D:D

Some of the links have changed and those often die so I'm posting this one. Good idea to strap themselves together so they would not separate. That had to be the longest 19 hours in their lives....

w855ag.jpg

TWO divers who were found after drifting over 19 hours in waters off Whitsunday survived by strapping themselves together and remaining calm, police say.

Queensland water police acting superintendent Shane Chelepy said the divers found themselves 200 metres from the vessel when they resurfaced at Bait Reef at the scheduled time of 2.30pm (AEST) yesterday.

The 38-year-old British man and 40-year-old American woman were found by plane floating in the water just before 9am (AEST) today 7.8 nautical miles from where they were last seen.

They were winched into a helicopter and are currently being monitored for hypothermia at Townsville General Hospital.

Supt Chelepy credits the divers' survival to their experience and ability to remain calm.

``The divers made some very good decisions throughout the evening,'' he said.

``My information from talking to them is they strapped themselves together using their weight belts, they conserved energy, stayed as a pair and awaited rescue.''

200 meters? Sounds like they had NO signal devices?! :silly: Those cheap whistles that are included with some BCs don't count.
[c]
18292_1.jpg

[/c]
Traveling to Australia to dive the GBR: $5,000
Diver Alert Whistle: $40
Being found by the boat the same day: PRICELESS!!

Also good ideas...

DAN Tag with Mirror
dantagplus.gif

XS-Scuba-Safety-Sausage-SMB.jpg

dive-light.jpg

White trash bag to float on water for planes to spot
12.jpg

FANTASTIC NEWS!!!

Someone gave me a good tip on a cheap but effective signalling device. Use an old DVD or other disc. The shiny data side makes a good reflector. I just keep some of the freebie ones that some in the Sunday newspapers and put a couple in my BCD pocket. Fortunately I haven't yet had to use them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom