Little Girl Almost Drowned

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

supernix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well I have looked at first aid and read a little about CPR. But today was the first time I almost was confronted with a situation that might have needed it.
Me and my wife were at Devils Fork State Park at Lake Jocassee and this little girl was off by herself in the water a ways away from the family she was with, and all of a sudden my wife lets a yell out and said hey this kid might be drowning.
I was well over 60 feet away luckily someone was able to run from the shore and pull her in. I don't actually think they have actually called 911. I hope she is well.
It is amazing those people did that, there was around 10 people total together and none of them watching this small child. I am almost positive the child was not more than 2 years old.
I surely will check on CPR at the local dive shop that I am working on getting my C-Card from.

Good for your wife that she called out for help. She just might have saved that child's life by keeping a sharp eye.

Was this at the divers ramp?

Were you out there doing your cert dive? Who are you getting certified with?

I am going through Upstate Scuba for the certification.
As for the location it was actually at the swimming area near the boat ramp around the office.
Nah was not doing any certification diving as much as I wish that were the case. I just was out snorkeling trying to make sure I am in shape for the certification testing dives.
Tick Tock my time is winding down as I am waiting for the first pool session on July 29th.

Check out the Red Cross website.* Local chapters offer inexpensive CPR certification and it only takes half a day or so.* Not a lot of time considering you might need to save a life.
I can't believe the kid's parents weren't watching her.* Thank [insert deity of choice] that your wife was.* That must've been scary.Take care and welcome to diving!

Damn. I know that two year olds are difficult to keep up with. I looked down from out campsite on a high point last week and saw my 14 yo grandson on the beach alone on the other point, my daughter and my 4 yo granddaughter walking along the edge toward him - all three thinking they're invincible. I gave them all snorkel vests and in pool instruction using them, but - they usually don't even pack them. If one of them had feel in, it would have taken me 30 minutes to get down the cliff and around to them. :11:

This won't apply to you case, you don't know the kid - but there have been "near drownings" who were revived, seemed ok, not taken to ER, who died hours later from a delayed reaction. Consider any near drowning a real deal, take all to ER for the pros to check out.

You mean something like this Don?

Boy Drowns Hours After Getting Out Of Water - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville

Juen 3, 2008
GOOSE CREEK, S.C. -- A 10-year- boy died several hours after he swallowed water in a swimming pool in Goose Creek, S.C.

Police said that Johnny Johnson had been in a swimming pool and later complained he was tired and took a nap. When someone checked on him, they found water coming out of the boy's nose and said that he was having trouble breathing.

Johnson later died at Trident Hospital.

Berkeley County Coroner Glenn Rhoad said that the boy's lungs were filled with water and he died of asphyxiation.

Rhoad said there was nothing suspicious about the death.

Experts say that about 10 to 15 percent of drowning victims experience what is called "dry drowning," caused by an involuntary laryngospasm reflex that causes asphyxiation.

A dry drowning can occur shortly after or up to many hours after the person was last submerged.

sad to hear about little kids drowning; really makes me glad that my folks insisted i learn to swim when i was about 6 or 7. too bad swimming isn't a required skill in elementary school p.e.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom