New Zealand: Divers swim for three hours after boat sinks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Divers swim for three hours after boat sinks - 25 Sep 2008 - NZ Herald: New Zealand National news

"....stopping every few miles for crew to call out." :confused: I wonder what the CG really told the reporter...?
Two divers had to swim up to three hours after their boat sank near Howe Point, in the Bay of Islands.

The two men went diving at 1.45pm but when they failed to return at 10.30, one of the men's partners rang the Coastguard.

Duty officer Katherine Andrews said the Coastguard boat Daydream searched the Howe Rock area, stopping every few miles for crew to call out.

Ms Andrews said the boat then headed out to Ninepin Island and around Cape Wiwiki before heading back to Waitangi.

She said as the Coastguard got close to Howe Point, the crew heard voices calling from the beach.

"The two men were found safe and well but very glad to see help arrive," Ms Andrews said.

She said the men's boat sank in what was known as the Middle Ground and they had to swim for up to three hours.

Ms Andrews said it was fortunate that one of the men's partners overheard where they were planning to dive.

"Without this information it would have been very difficult to launch a search," she said.

Ms Andrews said divers should tell others of their plans before they leave.

And most divers think "Oh, that won't ever happen to me!

But it is amazing how the Universe watches out for us. ....it was fortunate that one of the men's partners overheard where they were planning to dive. "Without this information it would have been very difficult to launch a search"

One word (acronym really)......EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon) stored in an Otterbox (100' depth limit) or deeper container in or on BCD.

406 MHz EPIRBs (Emergency Position Indicating Radiobeacon (EPIRB) - USCG Navigation Center)
The 406 MHz EPIRB was designed to operate with satellites. The signal frequency (406 MHz) has been designated internationally for use only for distress. Other communications and interference, such as on 121.5 MHz, is not allowed on this frequency. Its signal allows a satellite local user terminal to accurately locate the EPIRB (much more accurately -- 2 to 5 km vice 25 km -- than 121.5/243 MHz devices), and identify the vessel (the signal is encoded with the vessel's identity) anywhere in the world (there is no range limitation). These devices are detectable not only by COSPAS-SARSAT satellites which are polar orbiting, but also by geostationary GOES weather satellites. EPIRBs detected by the GEOSTAR system, consisting of GOES and other geostationary satellites, send rescue authorities an instant alert, but without location information unless the EPIRB is equipped with an integral GPS receiver. EPIRBs detected by COSPAS-SARSAT (e.g. TIROS N) satellites provide rescue authorities location of distress, but location and sometimes alerting may be delayed as much as an hour or two. These EPIRBs also include a 121.5 MHz homing signal, allowing aircraft and rescue craft to quickly find the vessel in distress. These are the only type of EPIRB which must be certified by Coast Guard approved independent laboratories before they can be sold in the United States.

A new type of 406 MHz EPIRB, having an integral GPS navigation receiver, became available in 1998. This EPIRB will send accurate location as well as identification information to rescue authorities immediately upon activation through both geostationary (GEOSAR) and polar orbiting satellites. These types of EPIRB are the best you can buy.

406 MHz emergency locating transmitters (ELTs) for aircraft are currently available. 406 MHz personnel locating beacons (PLBs) are available.

The Coast Guard recommends you purchase a 406 MHz EPIRB, preferably one with an integral GPS navigation receiver. A Cat I EPIRB should be purchased if it can be installed properly.

Here's one such example: ACR ResQFix 406 GPS Personal Locator Beacon (unadvertised price)

EPIRB story! I work with water search and rescue out of Beaufort, SC - we got a call out of Langley, Va. at 2 am one morning that they had detected an "EPIRB event" in our area. We launched 4 or 5 boats - looked all over found nothing at the lat/long we were given...about an hour later got another call that the signal was now coming from about 60 miles away from the first signal source.... and inland...an hour later it was now 120 miles away and even further inland - state patrol finally stopped a guy on the interstate around Columbia towing a boat with a triggered EPIRB. YES, they work very well....

Do the EPIRB's work outside the US?

Yes. EPIRB's work outside the US.......

Early EPIRB's used to work where ever flights could pick up the signal. Modern EPIRB's use satellites and work anywhere.

How many islands are there in the Bay of Islands, and was there a danger of being swept out to sea?

Do the EPIRB's work outside the US?

Absolutely. Coordinating rescue efforts might get challenging in remote locations on land or sea, but the one I described above works worldwide and someone would be able to tell rescuers your exact location.

I "used" an EPIRB for the first time last week, they are issued as standard to buddy pairs on the Palau Aggressor II. Never needed to use it, but there is a definite sense of reassurance. They just zip tied it to a piece of webbing and it didn't interfere with diving at all.

I might be tempted into buying one, my only concern would be whether any boats in remote locations would be equipped with the receiver needed to track them.

And most divers think "Oh, that won't ever happen to me!

But it is amazing how the Universe watches out for us. ....it was fortunate that one of the men's partners overheard where they were planning to dive. "Without this information it would have been very difficult to launch a search"

One word (acronym really)......EPIRB (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacon) stored in an Otterbox (100' depth limit) or deeper container in or on BCD.

406 MHz EPIRBs (Emergency Position Indicating Radiobeacon (EPIRB) - USCG Navigation Center)
The 406 MHz EPIRB was designed to operate with satellites. The signal frequency (406 MHz) has been designated internationally for use only for distress. Other communications and interference, such as on 121.5 MHz, is not allowed on this frequency. Its signal allows a satellite local user terminal to accurately locate the EPIRB (much more accurately -- 2 to 5 km vice 25 km -- than 121.5/243 MHz devices), and identify the vessel (the signal is encoded with the vessel's identity) anywhere in the world (there is no range limitation). These devices are detectable not only by COSPAS-SARSAT satellites which are polar orbiting, but also by geostationary GOES weather satellites. EPIRBs detected by the GEOSTAR system, consisting of GOES and other geostationary satellites, send rescue authorities an instant alert, but without location information unless the EPIRB is equipped with an integral GPS receiver. EPIRBs detected by COSPAS-SARSAT (e.g. TIROS N) satellites provide rescue authorities location of distress, but location and sometimes alerting may be delayed as much as an hour or two. These EPIRBs also include a 121.5 MHz homing signal, allowing aircraft and rescue craft to quickly find the vessel in distress. These are the only type of EPIRB which must be certified by Coast Guard approved independent laboratories before they can be sold in the United States.

A new type of 406 MHz EPIRB, having an integral GPS navigation receiver, became available in 1998. This EPIRB will send accurate location as well as identification information to rescue authorities immediately upon activation through both geostationary (GEOSAR) and polar orbiting satellites. These types of EPIRB are the best you can buy.

406 MHz emergency locating transmitters (ELTs) for aircraft are currently available. 406 MHz personnel locating beacons (PLBs) are available.

The Coast Guard recommends you purchase a 406 MHz EPIRB, preferably one with an integral GPS navigation receiver. A Cat I EPIRB should be purchased if it can be installed properly.

Here's one such example: ACR ResQFix 406 GPS Personal Locator Beacon (unadvertised price)

...does anyone produce such a device that's 'liquid filled'...I saw a version of one of these on the WWW a while back...it was 'oil-filled' and, thus, rated to a very substantial underwater depth, NOT requiring it be stored in another container...I'm really looking for something along those lines...don't really want to be strapping a 'pelican case' to my BC to store it in....or wondering if the case leaked and ruined my spendy 'device'.

Karl

...does anyone produce such a device that's 'liquid filled'...I saw a version of one of these on the WWW a while back...it was 'oil-filled' and, thus, rated to a very substantial underwater depth, NOT requiring it be stored in another container...I'm really looking for something along those lines...don't really want to be strapping a 'pelican case' to my BC to store it in....or wondering if the case leaked and ruined my spendy 'device'. Karl

Here is one, but it functions on the older 121.5 MHz frequency that is being phased out and will become non-functioning soon.

Sea Marshall Personal Location Beacon (epirb)-Divers

I haven't personally found an oil-filled version of the 406 MHz EPIRBs but I'm sure they'll be available at some time.

...does anyone produce such a device that's 'liquid filled'...I saw a version of one of these on the WWW a while back...it was 'oil-filled' and, thus, rated to a very substantial underwater depth, NOT requiring it be stored in another container...I'm really looking for something along those lines...don't really want to be strapping a 'pelican case' to my BC to store it in....or wondering if the case leaked and ruined my spendy 'device'.

Karl
Pelican cases are not rated for depth are they? Better than a ziplock bag, but not as rated as a Otterbox. I wouldn't want to strap either on for diving tho, in addition to the scuba store I already dive with.
Here is one, but it functions on the older 121.5 MHz frequency that is being phased out and will become non-functioning soon.

Sea Marshall Personal Location Beacon (epirb)-Divers

I haven't personally found an oil-filled version of the 406 MHz EPIRBs but I'm sure they'll be available at some time.
That would be nice.
I "used" an EPIRB for the first time last week, they are issued as standard to buddy pairs on the Palau Aggressor II. Never needed to use it, but there is a definite sense of reassurance. They just zip tied it to a piece of webbing and it didn't interfere with diving at all.
Did you get a pic of that attached...?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom