Any books/documentaries/papers about Peter Verhulsel?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deac in the Wake

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been an avid reader and collector of any publication or documentary about diving in all its forms. One thing that's fascinated me is the mind-bending deep (vertical as well as horizontal) achieved by the titans of tech-diving like Shaw, Shirley, Exley, Gomes, Ellyatt, Cunningham and of course Chatterton and Kohler.

One story that's always held my attention is the sad and frightening tale of Peter Verhulsel. It's footnoted in the Finch book on the Bushman's incident but I've looked for any kind of book or documentary about Verhulsel's demise and have yet to find anything.

I know this board is full of those possessing deep erudition on diving so I figured I make an appeal here. Anyone know of anything detailing the circumstances of Verhulsel's last dive?

Not much out there it seems. Apparently there's a documentary by Leo and Mandy Dickinson. In the SA Speleological Association archives at the University of Cape Town there is an inquest report, you might try getting your hands on that but I'm not sure how easy that would be.

The Pieter Verhulsel story chills my blood. I was a kid at the time but heard of it in the news and the idea of being stuck in a dark cave with plenty of fresh water but no food captured my imagination in its most frightening form.

Apparently he survived in the cave for more than a month and was eventually found by diggers not too long after he had died.

Yeah, I remember it too. I visited Sterkfontein caves just a short while after his body was recovered.

The conditions must have been horrific, pitch black, freezing cold and full of insects and rodents, imagine a month in those conditions!

FYI- Leo Dickinson told me that the docudrama he and his wife have produced entitled "Lost" is a two-part video about both Exley and Verhulsel *may* be available next year.

Lost a documentary reconstruction about 2 cave diving incidents

LOST

A 50 minute docu-drama by Mandy & Leo Dickinson

Becoming lost in a cave is your worst nightmare. The idea of spending your last moments in the dark is alien. Dying in a cave is off limits to our imagination. Such phobias are the prime reasons why most people will avoid the scenario at all costs.

Whether it be for protection or simply to know what lies round the next corner caves have always held a fascination for man and. …beast. It is the exploration into the unknown that drives us. Curiosity may satisfy our primeval desire but it can just as easily lead us into danger.

When caves become submerged with water the illusion becomes even more vivid and the egg timer of life starts ticking.

Lost tells two stories about two caves and two men.

Sheck's story:-
In our first story a diver looses all his air almost a mile down a flooded passageway. At that moment life expectancy is zero but there is one man who can save him. Sheck Exley is regarded as the greatest cave diver of all. He still holds depth and distance records that are unimaginable to all but a few divers. Without a moments hesitation Sheck started to 'buddy breath' his companion to safety. Flying in the face of all Darwinistic principles Sheck ignored the temptation to leave his friend and put himself in grave jeopardy - it almost cost him his life. Sharing air for 4500ft was an act that almost defies imagination.

Peter's story:-
Story two tells about a South African diver called Peter Verhulsel. Peter went diving with two companions in Sterkfontein caves 80kms north of Johannesburg.
The geology is akin to a 'Swiss Cheese' – full of holes and tilted at 30 degrees. Where it submerges the holes fill with water. Leaving the guideline Peter wanders off to swim alone and discovers an unknown chamber. His curiosity drives him forward. When he has had enough exploring he returns but cannot find the entrance. He waits for a rescue which never comes. Peter lived for one month in this cave and our story tells about the extraordinary efforts, dilemmas, politics and even psychics that were involved in the search for this lost caver.

In this history of exploration and adventure it would be difficult to find two stories more frightening or more than harrowing than the man who lost his air and the man who lost his way.

NOTE:If this should be moved or cross-posted to the cave diving forum, any mod wishing to do so certainly has my blessing. A place for all threads and all threads in their place!

You can find a few paragraphs about the incident in Martyn Farr's "The Darkness Beckons".
I would love to dive Sterkfontein as I live close by. It has been sealed of to divers since the incident.

I haven't seen Leo & Mandy mentioned anywhere since I used to skydive with them in the '80's. I await their film eagerly.

Back
Top Bottom