Very sad news-hurricane related........

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

detroit diver

Contributor
Reaction score
From a Rodales posting. Currently unverified, but chilling if true:

"Many reports coming in but none good. Wave Dancer capsized, apparently guests were in cabins and nearly all perished along with several crew. TMM Charters took their Catamarans down south to avoid the storm only to sail into it. Some are presently missing but do not know details, such as passengers, etc. Only two buildings left standing in Placencia. No word yet definitely on the beach side resorts but initial reports are not good. Only place left standing was Serenity Resort according to preliminary reports. Belize City, San Pedro, Caye Caulker, took only Tropical Storm force winds and result is only minor cleanup. Will do my best as the day progresses to provide any solid info. Keep in mind that communication at this time is at best haphazard, so will try to transmit something other than rumor. Sad times, for our small community not only in Belize but for all of you out there who knew people at these resorts and on the boats. Hard to think about staying wet and having fun at this point in time. My boats should be fine and will be poised for any relief and aid efforts as needed."

If true that is disturbing news. I thought Natasha from this forum, had something going in that area this week. Hope not. I could not find her posting.
mike

Let's Pray that the news is incorrect and that everyone is okay. It would be a shame to lose anyone in our extended family!

My prayers go out to those involved!

Had a posting elsewhere for info away from the storm. It seems her group was reacting to the situation. Lets hope she is safe and diving elsewhere.

Quoted boat owners as saying as many as 20 people may be lost. 8 were rescued.

The boat was tied up at the dock and the storm surge lifted it up and flipped it over. 140 mph winds. Stated that the city had been evacuated and there was no place for the divers to go to.

The group was from Virginia. Richmond, I believe.

Sorry to pass on the bad news.

My sincere condolences to their families.

Jack

I don't think she's near the problem..At least, I hope not.

CBS Radio News reported at noon that eight people survived on the dive boat in Belize capsized by Hurricane Iris. Nine others are confirmed dead and 11 are missing. All guests were members of a Richmond, Va. dive club which had chartered the boat.

A posting on the Rodale site says Peter Hughes Diving has confirmed the boat was the Wave Dancer. The survivors included five crew and three guests. According to the posting, the Hughes spokesman said the guests were still on board because Belize City had been evacuated and the company could not find hotel rooms for the passengers.

Warren

I think that was the Wave Dancer, not the Wind Dancer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom