NC: Scuba diver dies after rescue

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Scuba diver dies after rescue | coast, diver, guard - ENCToday
The Coast Guard has confirmed that a scuba diver rescued Sunday off the coast of Carteret County has died.

A 43-year-old male, whose name has not been released, was airlifted to Sentara Norfolk hospital after the Sea Quest II, which was located 23 miles south of Morehead City, called for immediate medical attention for the diver who was unconscious and unresponsive, according to a Coast Guard news release.

The Coast Guard coordinated a rescue response and a Navy HS-60 helicopter from the USS De Wart responded and transported the diver to the Norfolk, Va. hospital.

No further information was released by the Coast Guard.

According to its website, Discovery Diving based in Beaufort has a dive boat named Sea Quest II, but when the business was contacted by The Daily News about the incident an employee indicated they could not comment.

This was out early this morning. Was kind of hoping that it would not make it onto SB until more was known.

Last edited:
This was out early this morning. Was kind of hoping that it would not make it onto SB until more was known.
So often we don't learn any more that what is in the news until the story is posted here, and then maybe those who do know more will tell. It's always a sad loss, worse when we know the diver or even know his/her friends.

No new info - even tho the site was listed as 'updated'.

This happened at the dive shop where I teach.
I will relay what I have heard about the incident, but I want to qualify by saying this information is not from official reports.

As I understand it, the diver was descending and still on the anchor line when the incident occurred. I have heard he lost one or both fins on descent. His buddy assisted in getting his fins on. At that point he looked up and saw the diver was unconscious, with his regulator out of his mouth. The total dive time was approximately 8 minutes as I understand it, based on the diver's computer profile. I do not believe the diver ever regained consciousness. I do not know the cause of death at this time.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is the Accidents & Incidents forum.
It's here to figure out what happened and to keep the same kind of thing from happening again, so there are special rules (see the sticky)
The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.
Accidents, and incidents that could easily have become accidents, can often be used to illustrate actions that lead to injury or death, and their discussion is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

(1) You may not release any names here, until after the names have appeared in the public domain (articles, news reports, sheriff's report etc.) The releasing report must be cited. Until such public release, the only name you may use in this forum is your own.
(2) Off topic posts will be removed and off topic comments will be edited.
(3) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(4) No trolling; no blamestorming. Mishap analysis does not lay blame, it finds causes.
(5) No "condolences to the family" here. Please use our Passings Forum for these kinds of messages.
(6) If you are presenting information from a source other than your own eyes and ears, cite the source.
(7) If your post is your hypothesis, theory, or a "possible scenario," identify it as such.
(8) If your post is about legal action that concerns a mishap, use the Scuba Related Court Cases forum.
Thanks in advance,
Rick

Any word on what site the SeaQuest II was at? was it th

I believe that the SeaQuest II often does 2-tank trips. Was this the case on Sunday? If so, was it the first or second dive?

I've been out on the Sea Quest II a few times. Each trip was a 2-tanker to the standard sites off of Morehead City.

Each time I was on the boat, if my memory serves me, it was a crew of 2. The captain and one mate/DM. The mate would set the hook, communicate the conditions to the captain via comms and then stay down for a short dive before heading up. We'd then gear up and splash with the captain coordinating the activity on the deck.

I'm curious how many crew were on the boat at the time of the accident? Was the rescue performed by the captain, a mate/DM, or other divers on the boat?

How very heart-breaking for the dive op and crew!!!

Hoosier, rawls said that the buddy saw the victim unconscious. One may assume that the buddy brought the victim up? Still on the line, so right to the boat?

There are many people that 'seem' quite strong, while plaque clogs their arteries. The military senior service colleges used to (still do?) screen the senior leaders - military must, civilians may - for issues. Every year, at least one (from the myriad of senior service colleges) is immediately sent for by-pass surgery. This is from roughly 4-5k around age 50 people across the services.

[speculation] A jump in the water, the loss of a fin; the increased stress could bring on a heart attack. So sad. [/speculation]

Proper fitness is important for any sport.

You know, the little bit we know about the story reminds me of Denton Byers' death. That was also a situation where nothing should have been problematic, but a diver hanging onto the anchor line ended up dying, and the death was apparently due to embolization. I wonder if the boat in this case was riding up and down a great deal? Hanging onto the anchor line may be riskier than we realize.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom