Hong Kong diver dead in spearfishing accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Water accidents claim two lives - The Standard

Only one of these is scuba related. The article suggests drowning as cause of death, then goes on about bends?
A diver who was spear-fishing drowned and his diving master is being treated for the bends after an accident off Sai Kung yesterday.

Six men were scuba-diving off Tung Lung Chau when two of them decided to use spearguns to catch fish.

To, 50, was able to hit a 50-kilogram fish but it struggled and pulled him 60 meters down in the water.

Realizing he was in deep waters, he tried to surface too fast, resulting in what many believed to be the bends - a decompression sickness arising from the formation of bubbles of inert gases in tissues of the body on depressurization.

He and his diving master surnamed Ma, 48, were brought by marine police to their base in Sai Wan Ho.

To was certified dead at the base.

Ma, who also suffered injuries to his arms, was sent to Pamela Youde Eastern Hospital in Chai Wan. Later he was treated in a decompression chamber of the Fire Services Department.

gosh, this is what i'm saying,what nature wants,,nature gets...
i wonder why he did not release the spear and just let go of the fish,(???) and why did he let the fish drag him to death?
i wanted to say condolence to the family of the victim BUT this is not the right forum for condoling and symphatizing..i'll do it in "Passing forum"

hard to say what is going through someones mind, I also wonder why he did not release the spear, I do know that some fish are very strong and fast and he could have been taken to a depth so fast not having time to react. I can't remember the location of the article but I recall reading something about a diver being rescued by the mate on a dive boat. When asked what happened I believe the response was my bc would not inflate and I did not want to drop 80 bucks worth of new weight on the bottom of the ocean. Such a shame to see anyone lose their life doing what they enjoy.

It is said to hear of yet another HK diver losing his life.

I did not hear about the "report" of "bcd not inflating and not willing to drop 80 bucks worth of new weights".

Last edited by a moderator:
..maybe the spear is expensive that's why he didn't let go of it.....or maybe a home made spear,and has a sentimental value to him?

According to media, the diving was made at south china oil rig instead Hong Kong area. Details still not available yet.

RIP. :(

Such a shame to see anyone lose their life doing what they enjoy.
That's an interesting twist on the usual sentiment: At least he died doing what he loved. I guess dying sucks, no matter what you happen to be doing at the time.

"...80 bucks worth of new weights.."

What are they using instead of lead in Hong Kong?

Gold?
We don't know where mainedivr's anecdote took place. If somebody in Maine, for example, bought lead weights from LeisurePro at $3.50 per pound for 2-pounders, and was wearing 23 pounds, then $80 makes perfect sense.

Could the diver have been caught up in the excitement of his catch and been unaware of how deep he was going? Then when he realized it, he surfaced too fast :(

When things happen so fast it's hard to know what's going on in a split second it can take to plunge into deep waters or ascend too fast, depending on the circumstances. This is indeed a sad event that could have been avoided, yet so easy for someone to not realize the consequences of what was happening so quickly.

Back
Top Bottom