Dive boat sinks near Islamorada 1 dead 7 rescued

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It's hard enough for one person to do effective CPR on one victim, on two you'd have to be a magician.

Adam
Impossible I'd think?

The victims were brought on board one at a time. The DM brought the first one back with CPR just as the second victim was surfaced. So no, not impossible.

The victims were brought on board one at a time. The DM brought the first one back with CPR just as the second victim was surfaced. So no, not impossible.
Ok thanks for the clarification there. Horrible scene for anyone there.

I have a hunch you may have been...??

WOW.......so a former employee says it had a seal that was leaking and the dive op refused to fix it......That is just stunningly sad.......this will no doubt not only be a civil lawsuit but criminal charges will follow.

Just speculating on my part based on what that person reported in the other thread IF it turns out to be true.

We all love six-packs because they are, by definition, limited to 6 paying passengers, hence not "cattle boats".

But with the 7-plus pax boats also comes the requirement of Coast Guard inspections, and a hull built to Coast Guard (or ABS) specs. This would include stability, watertight subdivision, watertight integrity (such as with deck hatches) and bilge pump capacity. And a tip to the Coast Guard, even anonymously, about any dangerous condition on an inspected vessel, will bring inspectors out, pronto.

I'm not commenting on this particular 6-pack and this unfortunate tragedy. Just sayin'.

I think that if it was "just" the hatches, the boat would not have sank a second time after the salvage company pumped it free.

Back
Top Bottom