Diver Missing in the Florida Keys

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hope she dropped her weights to float higher in the water and be easier to find - and they find her soon!

don

Can anyone clarify if the boats name was "Tropic Vista" or were they diving from the "Tropic Diver" which is from the Tropic Vista resort?

Mark

But from what I saw of the condition archive at the buoys out there, what the heck were these divers doing out there unless they were WELL prepared and experienced?

There are days when you're better off not going. This looks like one of them for most recreational divers.

I have no idea how experienced these two were, however, but it sounds like they did not have a Dive Alert between the two of them - a nearly-essential piece of gear on a drift dive if there might be ugly current or another event that could get you separated from the boat.

Unfortunately, the odds are not good at this point....

I stay at the Tropic Vista whenever I'm in the keys. K4, I bet the boat was the Tropic Diver.

I've dove Crockett reef several times, and never had any problems there. If it was true to my experience, it wasn't a drift dive, there are mooring lines there.

I know both the captains of the Tropic Diver, and the DMs as well, and they are a professional, knowledgable group. I'm sure they wouldn't allow people to be out beyond their abilities.

hey did not have a Dive Alert between the two of them - a nearly-essential piece of gear on a drift dive

What is a dive alert ???Never heard of that at least maybe called that way.

is an air-powered horn that goes inline in your BC inflator hose.

It produces an UNGODLY loud screech when activated.

If you dive where you MIGHT get lost from the boat/upline, it is a piece of what I consider to be MANDATORY equipment.

It is so loud, in fact, that if you actually use it above water you had better stick your head underwater when you sound it - lest you damage your hearing.

It can be heard on a boat, even over the engines, at close to a mile distance.

Its only downfall is that it requires some air pressure in your tank to operate.

Quote: "He then realized he was too far from the boat to make it on his own. "
What does THAT mean? I just love these first reports.....

jroy017 once bubbled...

What is a dive alert ???Never heard of that at least maybe called that way.

This was a mandatory piece of equipment on a liveaboard I went on in British Columbia. They put one on for you if you didn't have one.

I have my own now.

Diverlady

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom