Diver bitten by Shark in Melbourne Aquarium

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Griffo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just after I got certified while overseas, I went to my closest LDS to look at buying gear, getting further certs etc. While they were very nice, they basically said that they were getting out of the normal business, and were concentrating solely on doing aquarium shark dives. Seeing they charge a couple hundred $$ per person, I can almost understand why. I do wonder how much their insurance just went up though!

A MELBOURNE Aquarium diver narrowly avoided serious injury when a shark bit her face during feeding time. The woman, in her 30s, suffered at least three lacerations to the right side of her mouth this morning at an exhibit that is home to dozens of sharks.
“She's very lucky,” said paramedic Kelly Mercer.

“She's lucky it wasn't on her nose or her eyes or her lips.”
The diver was taken to hospital in a stable condition after being treated.
Melbourne Aquarium declined to provide any further comment beyond a prepared statement, which stressed that the woman had suffered a “superficial facial wound” from a 40cm tawny nurse shark that did not have sharp teeth.
“While we adhere to best practice operating procedures for the care and management of animals at the aquarium, the nature of our business is such that these types of incidents will happen from time to time,” the statement said.

Last year, two divers were stabbed by stingray barbs in separate incidents.
A 37-year-old woman's right hand was struck by a barb in May while four months later a man was stung while accidentally kneeling on one of the animals.
The aquarium promotes itself as an approved operator for interactive shark dives and walks with feeding times occurring at least twice a day.
“Experience the ultimate adrenaline rush of coming face-to-face with a shark, one of the most feared creatures of the deep,” the aquarium's website says.
“Take the plunge inside Melbourne Aquarium's 2.2 million litre Oceanarium ... if you dare!”
AAP
Cookies must be enabled. | The Australian

“Experience the ultimate adrenaline rush of coming face-to-face with a shark, one of the most feared creatures of the deep,”

Yes because when I think deadly shark I think of a nurse shark......
I don't think they're sending the right message for an aquarium.

This just seems like theres a lack of safty and profesinalism. Got stung by a ray becuase he stepping on it underwater...... Wtf I would think.a diver that works in an aquarium would know better then watch his suroundings

This just seems like theres a lack of safty and profesinalism. Got stung by a ray becuase he stepping on it underwater...... Wtf I would think.a diver that works in an aquarium would know better then watch his suroundings

From what I gathered the diver who kneeled on the ray was a guest who paid to dive with those weighted air bubble helmets over your head. Even still I would think they would have a scuba diver whose watching over their guests.

What??

I'm with g1138. I find it pretty disturbing that instead of trying to educate people about sharks, they are cashing in on the sensationalized news image of sharks and helping to further their decline. If the whole experience is to help educate the public why promote it with an uneducated/untrue catch phrase? “Experience the ultimate adrenaline rush of coming face-to-face with a shark, one of the most feared creatures of the deep." “Take the plunge inside Melbourne Aquarium's 2.2 million litre Oceanarium ... if you dare!”

No doubt you'll get an adrenaline rush by diving with some of the most beautiful and mysterious creatures that inhabit our oceans but posing it as a dare or something evil and dangerous isn't helping anyone.
Although I guess with 3 people being injured in 1 aquarium in a year the odds are stacked against them a bit. Maybe it wouldn't be such a dare if they had animals that weren't being abused. “While we adhere to best practice operating procedures for the care and management of animals at the aquarium..." , "....a man was stung while accidentally kneeling on one of the animals." Looks like operating procedures need to be revised slightly.

No sympathy whatsoever for the guy that kneeled on a stingray. That's what we call "negative reinforcement". If you can't stay off the bottom bad things can happen.

I do be leave all divers are trained to stay off the bottom and to hoover not kneel

Back
Top Bottom