Ginnie 3-18-2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cave Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Reminder...

The purpose of this forum is the promotion of safe diving through the examination and discussion of accidents and incidents; to find lessons we can apply to our own diving.
Accidents, and incidents that could easily have become accidents, can often be used to illustrate actions that lead to injury or death, and their discussion is essential to building lessons learned from which improved safety can flow. To foster the free exchange of information valuable to this process, the "manners" in this forum are much more tightly controlled than elsewhere on the board. In addition to the TOS:

(1) You may not release any names here, until after the names have appeared in the public domain (articles, news reports, sheriff's report etc.) The releasing report must be cited. Until such public release, the only name you may use in this forum is your own.
(2) Off topic posts will be removed and off topic comments will be edited.
(3) No flaming, name calling or otherwise attacking other posters. You may attack ideas; you may not attack people.
(4) No trolling; no blamestorming. Mishap analysis does not lay blame, it finds causes.
(5) No "condolences to the family" here. Please use our Passings Forum for these kinds of messages.
(6) If you are presenting information from a source other than your own eyes and ears, cite the source.
(7) If your post is your hypothesis, theory, or a "possible scenario," identify it as such.
(8) If your post is about legal action that concerns a mishap, use the Scuba Related Court Cases forum.
Thanks in advance,

Due to the apparent fatalities in two locations today, posts will be moved to the appropriate thread.

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/accidents-incidents/414308-vortex-3-18-2012-a.html

Last edited:
Folks, rumor also has it there was another fatality at Ginnie. PLEASE . . . keep the recovery divers in your thoughts and prayers. :depressed:

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is about a fatality at Vortex.

Jax, did you mean Vortex in your last post or did you mean Ginnie?

No Joe, diver at Ginnie was OW, diver at Vortex had at least some level of cave training, but I don't know if he had full cave. Both bodies have been recovered.

James, The Ginnie fatality, was it in the Devils system?

I'm so sorry to all involved. My first wish is that neither accidet had happened. My second is that it makes us all safer divers.

Word has it that both have been recovered. Thank God.

I certainly hope some useful information comes of these tragedies. There is always something to learn from any accident, even if it is something that has happened before. Sometimes we need to be reminded. It calls to mind that if I die while diving, whether open water or cave, recreational or technical, I want what happened brought to light, even if it was a foolish failing of my own or just happenstance of bad luck. If someone can learn from my failings, then my accident will not have been in vain.

For the Ginnie incident the lesson is clear. Stay completely out of the caves unless you are cave trained and equipped. Very sad that this guy had to lose his life.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom