Death off of Manasquan NJ

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Several stories already on the net. This one from Diver from commercial vessel dies | The Asbury Park Press NJ | APP.com
MANASQUAN — A man died in what Coast Guard officials are describing as a diving accident Sunday morning.Officers at the Coast Guard Station in Manasquan received a radio call at about 10 a.m. from a crew member aboard the 50-foot commercial dive vessel Gypsy Blood reporting a diving accident, said Petty Officer Cynthia Oldham.
The crew member stated a man, who was between 55 and 60 years old, was unresponsive after a dive, and was in need of medical assistance, Oldham said.
A crew, including two emergency medical technicians from Station Manasquan Inlet arrived at the boat about 20 miles offshore and went aboard the Gypsy Blood and conducted CPR while transmitting back to the station, Oldham said.
Upon arrival, the man, whose name was not released, was transferred to a first aid squad and pronounced dead.
The boat is owned and operated by Brielle-based Gypsyblood Dive. The company describes itself as an “A Full-Service Dive Charter Operation,’’ according to its website. A call to the company seeking comment was not immediately returned.
“The Gypsy Blood is equipped with the latest in electronics, first aid, oxygen, and life rafts for your safety and peace of mind,’’ according to the company’s website. “At Gypsy Blood Dive our goal continues to be the best Full-Service Dive Charter Operation anywhere,’’ the website states.

I ALMOST dove with them yesterday. I made the decision Sat night to get a head start in my boat prep - instead of diving with the charter. I made the decision at 10PM sat night to drive to my boat the next mornign instead to compound/wax instead of diving.

I know a few people that were thinking about going this boat yesterday - but havent heard anything about this situation from them yet. A few friends dove last weekend and said it was a safe, well run operation. (I was supposed to be there also....but cancelled at 4AM with residual congestion......)

This boat operator is well run and has safety protocols in place. I have dove with them before and is one of my two preferred boat operators. We all know New Jersey diving has it's challenges and we do not know the health of the victim at such time.

Please let the details come forth before we speculate.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very rareley if ever does a dive operator kill a diver. Medical issues and or the actual action of diving kill people. Boats are taxi's that take divers to their destinations.
Eric

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated news, altho you wonder if the media ever gets anything right: He was a 63-year-old from Pennsylvania. See Diver Dies Off Manasquan Inlet - Brick, NJ Patch

The news has picked up on this being the third accident off of the boat in four years. The Grand Canyon has about 12 deaths a year for the same reasons as divers deaths usually - medical and/or personal actions.

I may be wrong, but as I recall the one diver cited in that article has fully recovered. A testament to the fast and affective response by captain and crew.

Reactions: RJP
It is NOT the boats responsibility to babysit a diver on a dive. It IS the divers responsibility to plan his/her dive and to dive his/her plan. Also they DO have all necessary safety equipment and training

Nj diving is very challenging. Its not the carribean.

Last edited:
I know the captain well, a very squared away individual. As stated above, once a diver leaves the deck they cannot be babysat by crew or captain. It is a tragedy but there really isnt enough stated in any articles I have read to give a definitive answer to what may have happened.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom