Cinematographer paralyzed saving diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
We are told to not injure ourselves to save others, but it's got to be a hard call. I know a guy who was criticized by some for following that advice, and another who was badly paralyzed in a futile attempt at the rescue.

From Hawaii Cinematographer Paralyzed In Tahiti Dive Accident - Honolulu News Story - KITV Honolulu
HONOLULU -- Hawaii's Mike Prickett, an internationally acclaimed underwater cinematographer from the North Shore of Oahu, has been partially paralyzed following a diving accident that occurred during a commercial filming job in Tahiti, according to a news release by Ocean Promotion. The accident happened last Wednesday and he is still undergoing hyperbaric oxygen therapy in Papeete.

Prickett, 47, sustained a severe case of decompression sickness while saving the life of another diver on the job. He was paralyzed from the chest down but regained some sensation in his legs Tuesdsay. Doctors are hopeful for his recovery.

"I was doing an underwater shoot for wetsuits and dive gear," Prickett said. "I saw another diver sinking and panicking. I dove down to 220 feet to save him, but he used up all my air. I'm glad I was able to rescue him and he could walk away from the incident. I want to thank my family and friends for their prayers. I really need your prayers right now," said Prickett.

Prickett was scheduled to appear next Wednesday, March 28, in a Talk Story event at the North Shore's Surfer The Bar at Turtle Bay Resort. A benefit for his medical and related expenses will now be held in its place. More details will be announced.

In 1984, Prickett was in a serious car accident, breaking his right leg in 36 places, and his left leg in seven places. Doctors thought he would never walk again but suggested swimming as therapy. His rehabilitation time led to a passion for underwater cinematography. Mike has filmed in nearly every ocean in the world and has won numerous awards for his work including Emmys and Best Cinematography at the Sundance Film Festival. His feature film work includes Riding Giants, Step Into Liquid, and Ultimate Wave Tahiti.

Likewise, I'm hoping for a full recovery for this brave person. And the other guy walked away?

The best on his recovery.

Good luck on a full recovery

What a guy !! I know that someone with that kind of grit will make a recovery ... may it be a quick and complete recovery.

Speaking of "Riding Giants", there was a good line by Laird Hamilton in there referring to the guys driving the jet skis that go in and rescue big wave surfers after wipeouts. I think it also applies here as well. Laird said something to the effect of "Those guys sleep well at night because they don't think about whether or not to save a guy, they just do it." I am not sure if that truly is always the best choice, but I hope Mike sleeps well knowing he saved somebody else's life. Best wishes for a speedy and full recovery Mike!

His work is simply fantastic. To find out he's also a good guy just makes it that much better. Good luck in a speedy and complete recovery...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom