Any Information About A Discover Scuba Death in Grand Turk?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laurie S.

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
The cruisecritic board is discussing the death of a 17-year-old in Grand Turk while on a Carnival ship discover scuba excursion. I haven't seen anything about this here. I'm especially curious because I think it's the same operator that Holland America uses and we had problems with them there last month.

---------- Post added April 11th, 2012 at 12:12 PM ----------

I got this story confirmed. Oasis Divers has had its contract cancelled by Carnival, and, hopefully, Holland America.

the link at cruisecritic.com is Grand Turk SCUBA cancelled - Cruise Critic Message Boards

---------- Post added April 12th, 2012 at 01:25 PM ----------

Also found this link DIVER RESCUED OFF GRAND TURK, Turks and Caicos Islands

Following is from a pdf of same site (above);

DIVER RESCUED OFF GRAND TURK, Turks and Caicos Islands
A TEENAGER is fighting for his life following a diving accident in Grand Turk.
The 17-year-old American tourist got into difficulties while learning to dive under the supervision
of highly trained and experienced instructors.
He was one of 16 people on the organised outing. The victim was pulled from the sea and
received emergency first aid aboard a dive boat before being transported to the Cruise Centre
where he was met by a medical team from InterHealth Canada.
He was then rushed to the Cockburn Town Medical Centre before being airlifted to a hospital in
the USA.
The incident, which happened just before 3pm on Wednesday, is now being investigated by
officers from the RTCI Police.
ENDS

---------- Post added April 12th, 2012 at 01:33 PM ----------

There appears to be 2 incidents -

GRAND TURK
A TEENAGER is recovering in hospital following a diving accident in Grand Turk.
The 17-year-old American tourist got into difficulties while learning to dive under the supervision
of highly trained and experienced instructors. He was one of 16 people on the organised outing.
The victim was pulled from the sea and received emergency first aid aboard a dive boat before
being transported to the Cruise Centre where he was met by a
medical team from InterHealth Canada. He was then rushed to the Cockburn Town Medical
Centre before being airlifted to a hospital in the USA.
The incident, which happened just before 3pm on Wednesday, is now being investigated by
officers from the RTCI Police.

AND

POLICE have launched an investigation following the death of a tourist in Grand Turk,
yesterday (Monday).
A 62-year-old man got into difficulties while snorkelling off the island and was taken aboard a
boat where dive instructors administered emergency treatment.
He was brought back to shore and rushed to the Cockburn Town Medical Centre, where he was
pronounced dead at 1.10pm.
The victim is believed to have been a passenger on a visiting cruise ship.

News : Royal Turks & Caicos Police Force

then scroll down to "Easter weekend Crime and Incident report"

There is another thread on cruisecritic, which preceded this one. In that thread, it is stated that the 17-year-old passed away. The emergency medical treatment actually was provided by one of the cruiseship passengers who did CPR on him until medical personnel arrived.

16 Discover Scuba students?! Wow! My first few dives were Discover dives as a passenger on a small Windjammer, but I had my own DM or Inst as a buddy for each dive, even tho we did break some rules. I wonder how many students per Inst they allow?

16 Discover Scuba students?! Wow! My first few dives were Discover dives as a passenger on a small Windjammer, but I had my own DM or Inst as a buddy for each dive, even tho we did break some rules. I wonder how many students per Inst they allow?

Yep, methinks that's why the tragedy happened.

I don't have any details about the incident, but from the information in earlier posts, I don't think it is clear if all 16 were in the water at the same time. Years ago when I did my first discover scuba in Australia, there were probably about 20 or so discover scuba students on the boat, but went in 4 at a time.

How many are allowed is irrelevant. I can take 4 by standards. But under 18 - two. This stuff of taking a group of cruise people in herds on these things is nothing but greed in action. Cruise lines have recommended vendors for everything in ports. They say is so they can guarantee quality, service, etc. truth is it is how much of a kickback they get. My first cruise land excursion in Cozumel would have cost double if we stayed on the main drag that Carnival suggested. Going off of that by just a couple blocks netted some great deals and very nice people.

I highly doubt that there were four or five instructors. I'm betting there weren't more than two. I dove with them in March and saw their operation. You couldn't pay me enough to ever dive with them again.

I highly doubt that there were four or five instructors. I'm betting there weren't more than two. I dove with them in March and saw their operation. You couldn't pay me enough to ever dive with them again.
Your experiences may well be on track, but we just don't know about this day.

Personally, I don't think having more than 2 DSD students per Inst is wise, altho I guess many agencies thinks so. I am glad I had a private Inst for all of my DSD dives.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom