Cozumel Diver Death 2/2012

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sclkqw

New
Reaction score
My father died in a scuba accident in February in Cozumel, Mexico. I am told there was an investigation done, but the information I have received regarding the accident has all been second hand. The cause of death and the details of the accident just don't sit right with me. I have tried to accept it and move on, but there are other things that I am told regarding the circumstances of his death that just won't allow me to let it go. I am not a diver and am struggling to understand the "why" of a lot of these cicumstances. I would appreciate any advice out there as to who to talk to to discuss this.

Have you looked into talking with a therapist? Or grief counselor? Perhaps if you gave some info we could shed some light on what may have happened. One thing you should understand is that a number of entities will try to minimize just how dangerous this activity is. It is fun, exciting, educational, etc. But it will kill you in a heartbeat if something goes wrong and the diver is not prepared to deal with it. Medical issues aside most diver deaths are preventable with just a bit of information and extra training. Unfortunately there are those who see profit above skills and education that results in more divers not dying by plain dumb luck.

How long was your dad a diver? Did he dive regularly? This is important. It cannot be emphasized to much that regular diving keeps skills sharp. If he was a newer diver where was he trained? Do you know how much training he had? All these things may help us to shed some light on the situation.

sclkqw,

I do not have any advice on who to talk to, but if I were in your situation, I would contact the U.S. Consulate Embassy. Perhaps the Consular agent in Cozumel can provide some assistance with obtaining written details of the accident. Follow the link below for address, telephone number and email:

Consulates / Agencies | Embassy of the United States Mexico City, Mexico

I am sorry for your loss.

Thank You Jim. I was told he asked to go up 5 minutes before the dive was over. One report was that he complained of shortness of breath. I am told someone checked his tank and determined that his tanks were okay. They sent him up by himself and watched him kick up. The people on the boat did not realize that someone came up early. When the other divers surfaced, they found my father. (it was too late). I don't understand why was he sent up by himself. My father had been diving for a number of years. He logged over 100 dives. He probably wasn't an expert by any means, but he also wasn't a beginner. I will look into grief counseling possibly in the future. I just feel like I have so many unanswered questions. I would like to get a copy of the investigation and medical reports. Will try to contact the embassy as the following post suggest.

---------- Post added April 10th, 2012 at 09:56 PM ----------

Thank You shawrg. I will try to contact them tomorrow. Thank you for the contact information.

Very sorry for your loss. There may be people who have more info because they were there. If you know the name of the shop and the day and time you may get some response. Many people may have opinions so take them with a grain of salt. Don't be disappointed if you don't find answers, because sometimes there is no info.
Nothing will bring him back, but your memories will keep him with you forever. Perhaps in the future,when your grief has subsided, you could try diving so you can understand what your dad found so alluring. He will be watching over you. May your dad rest in peace and may you live in peace.

Im so sorry for your loss...no diver should ascend on his own but i have seen it done in Cozumel when someone is diving alone without a partner and the vis is so good...the boats are all sitting at the surface following bubbles and waiting for divers to come up so they can pick them up....i was just listening to the Dan lecture tonight on Dive Fatalities and triggers...i was shocked on how many divers die of heart attacks while diving ...even more shorting was that 61% of these divers felt symptoms of the heart attack pryor to diving and decided to dive anyways..

it there is any possible way to comfort you...let me say this...i am a senior diver...i have cremation insurance that includes travel insurance ..if i die while diving my son has instructions to call my company and they will take care of bringing me home...He has been a diver since age 12...so he understands diving...I totally understand the riskys..(like sky diving)..and im not only willing but excited to take those risks...those that do these extreme sports ...love the adreneline rush of danger...we know we could die and we in fact would love our last breaths to be while doing this sport we love...I have heard that drowning is a very peaceful way to go..

Your father died doing what he loved to do...maybe there was a small amount of "no-no" on sending him up alone but he also accepted this by going up alone...you can spend lots of money and attorneys would love to take your money ..but in the end you most likely will get nothing...

I agree with getting grief counseling to deal with this ,,and go to a local shop and let them tell you about diving...I know if you lived here by us and called and told us about your circumstances ..we would invite you to sit in our our basic class and learn about the sport..in the hopes it would help you to understand....if it was me who died and i could speak to my son...i would say...please don't wasted your money...bring me home and know that the sport i did was risky...i loved that risk...i loved my sport...i died doing what i loved...put me by the sea i loved and know that i loved you...and be at peace...as I am at peace..you can cause yourself a lot of grief to pursue this when it isn't what your dad would want..
---------- Post added April 10th, 2012 at 09:56 P

My father died in a scuba accident in February in Cozumel, Mexico. I am told there was an investigation done, but the information I have received regarding the accident has all been second hand. The cause of death and the details of the accident just don't sit right with me. I have tried to accept it and move on, but there are other things that I am told regarding the circumstances of his death that just won't allow me to let it go. I am not a diver and am struggling to understand the "why" of a lot of these cicumstances. I would appreciate any advice out there as to who to talk to to discuss this.

You can discuss it here if you want to understand the technical details of the accident. You'll need to disclose some details to do so.

While agencies train divers not to ascend on their own, it happens quite often in "vacation" dive locales. That's exactly what the dive ops in Kona, HI told us... "when you're low on air, let me (the DM) know and I will tell you which way the boat is and you can ascend, do your safety stop, and meet us back on the boat. The rest of the group will continue the dive." It's part of why we're supposed to dive in buddy pairs, not as a group. Often, though, vacation divers (people who only dive in "warm" places while on vacation) simply don't have enough practice with their diving skills to do anything more than rely on the DM or dive guide to get around and help in an emergency so lots of vacation places just do "group dives" because it's simpler to organize.

The details of your father's passing may be very hard to come by, even in an official report, if you ever see one.

I hate solo ascents. I know that they are done, but many accidents happen on the surface. If I run low on air but my bud sends me up along, I get a new buddy. Divers are responsible for themselves and their buds, but I wish DMs would not allow solo ascents.

I am sorry you haven't got much info, which you deserve. The Consulate in Merida or Consular Agent in Cozumel should be able to give you what their investigations found. Same link as above: Consulates / Agencies | Embassy of the United States Mexico City, Mexico and I think I'd try the local Consular Agent: Anne R. Harris first.

I do not know of a loss in February there, but am asking around....

I was there from the 1st thru the 15th and never heard anything about a death. Do you have a date so that members who were there at the time can give some extra thought to things they might have heard

Back
Top Bottom