Three divers lose their lives at Chac Mool in Riviera Maya. 2 Brazillian, 1 Spaniard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

whereisthesea

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Fallecen 3 buzos extranjeros en la Riviera Maya :: TVNotas !Irresistible!

Fallecen 3 buzos extranjeros en la Riviera Maya

20 de Abril del 2012 Por: Redacción/EFE. Foto: Especial

Los turistas ingresaron la tarde del jueves al cenote Chac Mool, sin embargo, ya nunca salieron.

4f074c5570241_350x0.jpg

La búsqueda de los buzos inició al ver que había tardado más de lo debido.

El guía español Ismael García Manzanares y 2 brasileños perdieron la vida cuando buceaban en un cenote de la Riviera Maya, en el Caribe mexicano, confirmó hoy el cónsul español Javier Marañón.

El diplomático explicó que los cuerpos de García Manzanares y de los 2 brasileños, aún sin identificar, fueron rescatados cerca de la 01:30 horas locales de hoy, de acuerdo con una llamada telefónica que recibió a esa hora de las autoridades locales.

"Ya nos comunicamos con la familia y la madre (del guía de buceo) ya viene en camino", apuntó el cónsul español en el balneario mexicano de Cancún.

De acuerdo con los primeros informes, los 3 buzos entraron la tarde del jueves al cenote Chac Mool, en la Riviera Maya, pero al ver que no salían transcurrido el tiempo máximo del que disponían de oxígeno en los tanques comenzó un operativo de rescate.

La búsqueda concluyó esta madrugada con la recuperación de 3 cuerpos y hasta el momento se desconoce el motivo del fallecimiento.

3 foreigners divers die in the Riviera Maya

April 20, 2012 By: Editorial / EFE. Photo: Special

Tourists entered Thursday afternoon at Cenote Chac Mool, however, and never left.

The search for the divers began to see what had taken longer than it should.

The Spanish guide Ismael García Manzanares and 2 were killed when Brazilian dived into a cenote in the Riviera Maya on the Mexican Caribbean, today confirmed the Spanish consul Javier Maranon.

The diplomat said that the bodies of García Manzanares and the 2 Brazilians, still unidentified, were rescued near the 01:30 hours local time today, according to a telephone call received at that time of the local authorities.

"Now we communicate with family and mother (the dive guide) is already underway," said the Spanish consul in the Mexican resort of Cancun.

According to early reports, the three divers entered Thursday afternoon at Cenote Chac Mool, the Mayan Riviera, but when he did not go after the maximum time available to oxygen tanks began a rescue operation.

The search ended this morning with the recovery of three bodies and for the moment It is unknown the cause of the deaths.

Oh, dear, I wonder what on earth could have happened. There isn't that much cave in Chac Mool, and most of it is big power passage without a lot of branches.

yeah, that's odd...

any chance these were cavern/OW divers that got onto the cave line accidentally or something like that?

Bad air maybe?

Oh, dear, I wonder what on earth could have happened. There isn't that much cave in Chac Mool, and most of it is big power passage without a lot of branches.

There is a least one spot with a skull and crossbones, do not proceed further sign. If they went there, all bets are off.

On CDF alanf reports:

Apparently it was a cavern tour, but the bodies were possibly found in the cave.

As for the cave being simple or not so big I would disagree as I am currently mapping below Mojarra and know the downstream cave very well Anyway it's very likely irrelevant to this. I look forward to seeing the report, but wont hold my breath.

I did this dive last summer and did not find it challenging at all but I was in awe of the surroundings so I did not notice a skull and crossbones or any other dangerous conditions. There is a line to follow and I suppose if the place got silted up and if the divers were unable to find the line again, they could get lost. For three people to not make it out of that site though, I am wont to believe that something was wrong with the air.

This is very sad news. Ismael took me on my very first cavern dive, last year. He did an excellent job, it was a super safe experience; and I'm a very conservative diver. I remember a skull and cross bones sign on our dive; and I'll never forget Ismael waiting and watching me carefully to make sure I followed him away from that point. Again, Ismael did a first class job with nothing I could fault in any way. Again, this is very very sad news.

Wow....I have never been cenote diving..I wonder if because it seems so easy, like a tourist attraction, people aren't as cautious. My prayers for the victems families.

Back
Top Bottom