New Jersey Fatality

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Very little available now. Maybe more will be released soon...

From Man dies while diving off NJ coast - NYPOST.com
MANASQUAN INLET, N.J. — Coast Guard officials say a man has died while diving in waters just off the central New Jersey coast.
A crewmember aboard the commercial dive vessel Sea Lion notified Coast Guard Station Manasquan around 8:40 a.m. Sunday that a diver had just left the water and was having difficulty breathing. The man, whose name not immediately released, had been diving near the Manasquan Inlet.
The Coast Guard station dispatched a 47-foot motor life boat crew, which included two emergency medical technicians who boarded the dive vessel to treat the man as he was taken back to the station. The diver was then taken to a hospital, where he was pronounced dead a short time later.
Officials say the cause of death was not immediately known.

Doesn't sound like we'd get a lot of details from this. If it wasn't DCS, it will probably be attributed to other health problems. How do organizations like DAN classify such? As a new diver who likes to read about accidents, I sense a little wishful thinking about incidents like this, as if the dive had nothing to do with the injury/death. As an example, I recently spoke to a cave diver about the recent death at weeki wachi, which was ruled an aneurysm. My acquaintance believed (or wanted to believe) that this would have happened to him if he hadn't dived that day. That is a possibility, but very unlikely. It's much more reasonable to say the dive did it and we don't know why. Or, he had an undetectable tendency for this and the dive brought it out and we don't know why.

Doesn't sound like we'd get a lot of details from this. If it wasn't DCS, it will probably be attributed to other health problems. How do organizations like DAN classify such? As a new diver who likes to read about accidents, I sense a little wishful thinking about incidents like this, as if the dive had nothing to do with the injury/death. As an example, I recently spoke to a cave diver about the recent death at weeki wachi, which was ruled an aneurysm. My acquaintance believed (or wanted to believe) that this would have happened to him if he hadn't dived that day. That is a possibility, but very unlikely. It's much more reasonable to say the dive did it and we don't know why. Or, he had an undetectable tendency for this and the dive brought it out and we don't know why.
That cave diver who incurred an aneurysm may well have had the potential for that sometime, but possibly the dive pushed it - I don't know. I'd rather die diving than a week later having not dived, but we often don't know what's next. I'd hate for my death to spoil a trip for others on the boat, but we knew it was an adventure sport when we started, even if we realized more later on.

This article says they were diving the SS Brunette, a 19th Century freighter in 70 ft three miles from the inlet. Man dies after diving off commercial vessel near Manasquan Inlet | NJ.com

Another one said he had shallow breathing, but that may not be accurate reporting. Autopsy results might become available in time...?

We were out on the water in the area at the time of the incident and heard over the radio. The Sea Lion indicated the diver had just entered the water and had not yet descended when the incident occurred.
That would explain the time of the incident.

That cave diver who incurred an aneurysm may well have had the potential for that sometime, but possibly the dive pushed it - I don't know. I'd rather die diving than a week later having not dived, but we often don't know what's next. I'd hate for my death to spoil a trip for others on the boat, but we knew it was an adventure sport when we started, even if we realized more later on.

This article says they were diving the SS Brunette, a 19th Century freighter in 70 ft three miles from the inlet. Man dies after diving off commercial vessel near Manasquan Inlet | NJ.com

Another one said he had shallow breathing, but that may not be accurate reporting. Autopsy results might become available in time...?

I believe it was later clarified that Marson had an embolism (AGE), not an
aneurysm

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom