Dummy of the Day Award

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick Murchison

Trusty Shellback
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Yesterday I was taking pictures on the Black Bart out of Panama City, FL.
Conditions were *perfect* - calm seas, warm water, great vis, nearly no current.
I was trying to capture the perfect blenny picture, and I reached over and gently grabbed an apparently empty railing with my ungloved left hand to steady myself - I didn't look on the far side of the rail first.
I noticed a tiny sting on the back of my middle finger and assumed a passing jellyfish tentacle had landed, so I ignored it.
About a minute later I noticed that not only was the little sting getting "bigger" but that my index and ring finger were stinging. That's when I took a look at the hand and there were three complete patches of fireworm bristles sticking out of each of the three fingers... nine patches of about 20 hairs each! I quickly picked the hairs out as best I could. I was beginning a grand adventure into the efficacy of the "don't touch" advice.
Within about ten minutes, the fingers were feeling like I'd stuck them into some hot coals. By the time I got back on the boat, they felt like they were both on fire and had been smashed by a healthy hammer blow too!
Vinegar? No help
Meat tenderizer? No help
Ammonia? No help
Heat? AAARRRRRGGGHHHHH! No, no, no....*
Ice! got it down from an 8 to a 4 (on the 1 - 10 scale, where 10 is "pass out immediately" pain - 8 is "I can still talk, but just barely").
Long story short... 8 hours of ice for a minute every 5 minutes until the between ice sessions pain was tolerable enough to let it wear off. Pain got down to the "I can sleep with that and two APAP" about 12 hours after the sting. This morning there's only a mild tingle left, so hopefully I won't have any relapses (though I hear that's possible with fire worms).
Oh, by the way, other than the fire worm the dives were great! Jewfish, octopus, barracuda, baitballs, ocelated frogfish, polkadot batfish, the usual mob, fantastic!
Rick (Dummy of the Day)
*when I got through to DAN they assured me that heat helps lots of folks - but they also told me that if ice worked for me I should keep that routine up as the only real treatment for a fireworm is time.

Last edited:
aww, i'm sorry, uncle ricky. hope it stays better!

We all make mistakes. I hope you feel better soon.

Ouch! I guess that's a reminder to all of us who are tempted to put a finger down for stability when shooting a photo . . . dry gloves are useful for something!

Sorry that happened to you. I've wondering just how 'bad' a fireworm hit is, hoping to learn from others' experience. I take it you weren't wearing a ring on your ring finger; rapid swelling can compromise blood flow. Reminds me of something I once read for guidance dealing with snake bite; if a snake bites someone, get their rings off!

Richard.

If it's anything like fire coral (yes, I barely brushed on with the tip of my knee. Will never do that again.) it will likely begin itching a lot in about a week and have welts resurface, but they will go away. Hydrocortizone ointment helps a lot. Sorry to hear about your missed photo shot and the pain. Nice reminder to every one though...

Sorry that happened to you. I've wondering just how 'bad' a fireworm hit is, hoping to learn from others' experience. I take it you weren't wearing a ring on your ring finger; rapid swelling can compromise blood flow. Reminds me of something I once read for guidance dealing with snake bite; if a snake bites someone, get their rings off!

Richard.
Fire coral is a minor irritant compared to this. It literally felt like my fingers had been stuck into a fire and then whacked with a hammer. Nearly debilitating. Definitely impressive.
Interestingly there was no swelling at all. (The Lovely Young Kat did take my ring off and wear it for me just in case)
Nor was there any bruising or discoloration. I expected plenty of both swelling and discoloration from the pain level.
It has completely resolved now - unless I have some delayed reaction...
I'd say it took about ten minutes from contact to significant pain, then about 8 hours of extreme pain, followed by about a four hour "slope" from extreme to mild (able to sleep). By 18 hours just a mild tingling; essentially complete resolution at 24 hours.
So, if you get popped by a fire worm, the good news is that you'll be all better tomorrow - but today's gonna be a bitch!
:)
Rick

Back
Top Bottom