North Sea Fatality - Scotland

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
From Diver pronounced dead after helicopter rescue | Deadline News
A DIVING trip in the North Sea turned to tragedy when a man was pronounced dead after he surfaced unconscious yesterday.
The 59-year-old diver, from a group of four from Yorkshire, surfaced face-down just off Eyemouth in Berwickshire.
He was unconscious and not breathing, and was later pronounced dead at Edinburgh Royal Infirmary after being rushed to hospital by helicopter.

One of the man’s companions, aged 39, was in shock after being washed onto the rocks at the shore in awful conditions.
An Eyemouth coastguard spokesman said the man who died had underlying health problems, and required an inhaler.
The coastguard first received a call at 1.40pm yesterday, when the man surfaced around 50 meters from the shoreline.
He was taken to the shore by other divers and coastguard rescuers.
Eyemouth lifeboat helped the younger man to the shore.
Paramedics and Eyemouth coastguard battled for around 45 minutes to save the man’s life, but he had not regained consciousness by the time an RAF helicopter arrived.
An Eyemouth coastguard spokesman said: “He was at Eyemouth for three quarters of an hour. They did CPR and were working on him before the helicopter arrived.”
He added: “The conditions didn’t help as well.”

Shock
The Sea King, from RAF Boulmer, rushed the stricken diver to Edinburgh Royal Infirmary, where he was later pronounced dead.
The younger man was not seriously hurt but was in shock after seeing his companion unconscious.
The spokesman continued: “He was in shock after seeing his buddy like that.”
The men were “shore diving” and did not have a boat, which meant returning to the shore amid the choppy seas was dangerous, the spokesman said.

Hospital
A spokesman for the Scottish Ambulance Service said paramedics treated a man in Eyemouth before he was airlifted to hospital.
The other man did not require hospital treatment, he said.
The spokesman said: “We were advised the coastguard were looking at another patient, he was just in shock.”
The four-man diving group was from a club in Barnsley, Yorkshire.

I didn't even know the North Sea was anywhere remotely approaching diveable. From what I understand it's arguably THE roughest body of water in the world...

I didn't even know the North Sea was anywhere remotely approaching diveable. From what I understand it's arguably THE roughest body of water in the world...
It was on the border of Scotland and England I think, and some of the reports say the fatality was from being bashed on the rocks.

At least this victim wasn't described as buxom.

its diveable and its full of shipwrecks.
used to be my local dive spot.

At least this victim wasn't described as buxom.
I don't take stories from that site.

I dive that area 50-60 timea a year like all diving safe if you treat it with the respect it deserves

It is an incredibly rough sea ... stormy and violently unpredictable.

I have spent 20 years and countless hours on the floor of the North Sea, from Stavanger, Norway to Aberdeen Scotland.

I would not dive there if I was not being paid a lot of money.

Back
Top Bottom