Speargun to the brain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Absolutbill

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340249429.936836.jpg

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/06/19/2859703/medical-teamwork-saves-teen-with.html

Wow! How lucky!

Can't cut and paste from my phone right now

Man, that's quite a story. I feel for the surgeons who had to deal with a very unusual problem, for which there were no real precedents. It's wonderful that their care and caution resulted in a young man with minimal deficits.

That's amazing! One of the most interesting X-rays I've ever seen. What a " lucky" kid.
Ive seen a nail from a nail gun to the head, fairly similar but this is quite a bit more impressive.

Man, that's quite a story. I feel for the surgeons who had to deal with a very unusual problem, for which there were no real precedents. It's wonderful that their care and caution resulted in a young man with minimal deficits.

Not as unusual as you might think. You would be amazed at what a trauma surgeon encounters.

Not as unusual as you might think. You would be amazed at what a trauma surgeon encounters.

Dr Gacia says otherwise...... Dr. Garcia said that he has seen some intense injuries in his career as a trauma surgeon, but he acknowledged that this case was “pretty unique because the spear was so long.” He emphasized there was no time to get distracted by the sensational scene, and his team shifted into high gear of their “regimented” response routine.

That must be really hurting by now! A hard lesson in paying attentionto what's going on around you.

Somehow I don't think Doc TS & M is unfamiliar with what a trauma surgeon encounters or the cases that come through an emergency room...

Kudos to the amazing work the team did right from the transport of the patient all the way through to saving his life and quality of life.

Wish that was the only time this has happened, sadly, I am aware of several over the years, and not all had happy endings.

spear1.jpg

I've also seen them in the arm and rear end.

PS If you look carefully, you will see the above is the back end of the spear.

Wow, just wow. People have amazing healing power but you have to give a lot of credit to the medical team.

I guess the moral of the story is don't point spear guns at peoples head! :no:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom