Accident in Brockville

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ayisha

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
There was a fatal accident on the Daryaw in Brockville yesterday morning. I was diving in Brockville this weekend and have interviewed witnesses. The Ontario Underwater Council is conducting an investigation and preparing an Incident Report.

Sorry to hear that news.

I'm very curious to hear what went wrong; I've read a lot of posts here discussing why rebreathers are a big risk. Simultaneously an LDS is pushing Poseidon rebreather rigs pretty hard making it tempting to try.

Sad to hear, I was down in B town this weekend.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

I changed the title from Rebreather Diver Accident in Brockville to Accident in Brockville

Last edited:
Thank you Pedro. I knew the questions would come in right away about what equipment the diver was using and I simply put rebreather. It was not intended as some sort of judgement whatsoever, which is also why I did not name the manufacturer.

Steve, you're being overly sensitive, IMHO. I can answer most of your questions, but I have not decided yet what should be shared before the report comes out, due to exactly what has happened in this thread already. If you want to speak privately, we can do that. We have a rb instructor and rb pilots on hand that we are consulting. All equipment was secured at the scene, is in police custody and will be examined by experts of their choosing.

Hence, I ask publicly, rather than by PM, do we know which rebreather was involved in the fatality (now that it appears to be publicly established that a rebreather was actually involved)?

Yes, it was a Poseidon. The investigation is far from over, however. Very briefly, the victim became unresponsive at depth with the loop out of his mouth. Unsuccessful attempts were made to give him a bailout bottle, and he was brought up. He was administered CPR, was defibrillated, transported to the hospital and was unfortunately pronounced dead. A preliminary OUC Incident Report will be published once the investigation is at least mostly complete.

On behalf of the OUC, I express my sincere condolences to the victim's family and friends, many of whom are reading this thread. Please keep it respectful. If anyone has information they would like to share, please feel free to PM me or post here, thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom