Scuba diver dies after being found floating at Kurnell, NSW, Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sir-Dive-A-Lot

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Another death this weekend in Australia, this time at one of Sydney's more popular shore dive sites.

Scuba diver dies after being found floating in water

A scuba diver has died after she was found unconscious and floating in the water off the coast of Kurnell, in southern Sydney on Monday.
The international tourist was found by several people she had been diving with in Kamay Botany Bay National Park just after 10am.
Miranda police Inspector Rick Johnson said the woman was dragged to shore near the Captain Cook's Landing Place monument.
A witness tried to revive her but she was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.
“She was diving with a group of people in the water and they brought her back to shore," Inspector Rick Johnson said.
“We are in the process of setting up a crime scene and speaking to witnesses,” he said.
It is believed the woman was visiting from Brazil but police were yet to formally identify her.

Another report, with photos of the police recovering some gear:
http://www.theleader.com.au/story/1824609/scuba-diver-dies-at-kurnell/?cs=1507

Last edited:
It's my sad duty to inform users that we have reason to believe that the diver in question was one of our moderating staff.

Quero

We have no specifics regarding what happened. Needless to say this has made a very deep impression on all of us and I would like to implore people not to speculate and to await further factual information.

On behalf of the Scubaboard staff,
Rob

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

Note: Due to the nature of this discussion, this is not the thread that friends and family are looking for.

Friends and family are advised to visit the following thread: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/passings/467334-rip-quero.html

Last edited:
This diver’s identity has been confirmed by her dive buddies and I was promptly notified. We don't know all the details just yet, but the dive community lost one our brightest stars. Via con Dios, Marcia Fisk Ong, aka Quero, one of my Advisors.
Many of us who knew and
respected her will abstain from discussion in this thread. Suffice it to say that the Marcia’s last moments were spent doing what she loved - scuba diving.

Please visit this thread in Passing to express your condolences.

Any details yet? I realize this is going to be hard to discuss but I'm surprised nobody has started a discussion on this,yet.
Perhaps we're just in shock,still. I'm wondering if the fact that Quero was just learning to use her drysuit and admittedly struggling with it could have had something to do with this.

I was just coming to see if there were any updates....

wonder if any of her dive group were from SB.

---------- Post added October 8th, 2013 at 01:32 PM ----------

I found another article on www.smh.com.au but of course my tablet crashed and I lost it...

Didn't say much, but did mention a camera being pulled from the water.

I was just coming to see if there were any updates....

wonder if any of her dive group were from SB.

If I were part of the dive group, I'd be out getting drunk trying to pretend that the last 48 hours of my life never happened.

I suspect we will see a full report, but it may be a while yet.

The camera found by police divers was mention and shown in some updated news stories.
Any details yet? I realize this is going to be hard to discuss but I'm surprised nobody has started a discussion on this,yet.
Perhaps we're just in shock,still. I'm wondering if the fact that Quero was just learning to use her drysuit and admittedly struggling with it could have had something to do with this.
Nothing to discuss yet. Just no info presented to be discussed.

Would anyone be willing to share a little bit about the dive site where she was found?

[h=1]Scuba diver?s death off Kurnell still a mystery | St George & Sutherland Shire Leader

Scuba diver’s death off Kurnell still a mystery[/h][h=2]By Sheree Mutton [/h]Oct. 8, 2013, 4:26 p.m.
Police are still investigating how a scuba diver died yesterday morning at Inscription Point, off Kurnell.
The woman, 62, believed to be an American, was diving with three other people about 10am.
She was found unconscious and dragged to shore near the monument at Captain Cook’s Landing Place.
A witness tried to revive her but she was pronounced dead at the scene by paramedics.
Miranda police crime manager, Detective Inspector Shane Woolbank, said the woman was a competent diver with more than 15 years’ experience.
‘‘There will be an examination of the diving equipment, particularly the air tank to see if there were any faults,’’ he said.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom