Two divers dead in English Channel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The following text copied from the UK news stream

"Two divers have died after getting into trouble in the English Channel.

The men, aged in their 40s, were diving off Eastbourne this afternoon, Sussex Police said.

The alarm was raised and they were airlifted to Eastbourne District General Hospital, where they were pronounced dead.

Detective Chief Inspector Mark Ling said: "Tragically two divers have died after getting into difficulty while diving in the Channel.

"We are informing their families and will be conducting an investigation into the circumstances."

Police said the men were not from Sussex and had been with a group of divers when police were alerted by the Dover Coastguard at 1.40pm.

The Maritime and Coastguard Agency said the dive boat was in mid Channel, south of Eastbourne, when the men got into difficulties. It said one of its rescue helicopters flew the men to hospital."

What a terrible weekend for the Irish and British scuba diving community. I rarely hear about diving in that corner of the world. It is most unfortunate that this time is about three separate fatal diving accidents. How peculiar that all the divers where in their 40s.

always sad news for our community....

they have been named locally today (google "romford recorder diver channel").
bit of internet research suggests they were both CCR divers although not confirmed what they were using at the time.

R.I.P
What a shame, allways terrible news, unfortunately the sea takes many lives, diving, fishing etc. etc I am a sailor myself and allways feel for such incidents, as well as shipwrecks / sinkings etc etc..

My thoughts to the families & friends..

they have been named locally today (google "romford recorder diver channel").
bit of internet research suggests they were both CCR divers although not confirmed what they were using at the time.
Not rebreathers, it seems...

Cause of death revealed for Brentwood diver Christopher Mehegan | Brentwood Gazette
A scuba diver from Brentwood involved in a fatal dive in the English Channel, died from an expansion of gas in his lungs, a post-mortem examination has shown.
Christopher Mehegan, 45, of London Road, Brentwood, died in hospital on June 14, hours after getting into difficulty off the Eastbourne coastline.
Fellow diver Peter Stanning, 44, from north London, was also pronounced dead after being caught up in the same incident
The post-mortem examination showed Mr Mehegan died from diffuse gas embolism due to pulmonary barotrauma.

What a terrible weekend for the Irish and British scuba diving community. I rarely hear about diving in that corner of the world. It is most unfortunate that this time is about three separate fatal diving accidents. How peculiar that all the divers where in their 40s.

Nobody in their 20s is crazy enough to dive in the UK.

That is simply untrue. Many British divers start out in university clubs and so there are actually many very dived up young divers who are extremely capable. However, the cost of kit, transport, accommodation, gas and boats does mean that diving at the riskier end of the spectrum is more likely to be older divers.

There is a lot of diving done in the UK. There are several charter boats in each marina or harbour anywhere vaguely diveable, as well as numerous club ribs.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom