Two divers dead on Aliwal Shoal, South Africa

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Did they know where the camera was or were they searching for it at 55Meters?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did they know where the camera was or were they searching for it at 55Meters? Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Camera was dropped from a survey vessel. I doubt that they knew "exactly" where it was. What difference does it make? It was a tech dive to 200 feet by two tech divers. That's all the detail that has been released so far.

I saw the names mentioned by a local on Facebook, but I guess they haven't been published yet - so can't post those here. The rumor was of "surfaced unexpectedly."

There were rumours going around South African diving circles yesterday about the identity of one of the divers and it has subsequently been reported that it's Peter Timm - a fairly prominent local diver, most famous for discovering the coelacanths at Jessops Canyon at Sodwana. AFAIK it's the only place where its possible to dive with these fish, though even at Jessops they are only found at depths of 100m and more.
Drowned diver has been identified | South Coast Herald

More details have been posted of the tragedy, and both divers have been identified. As previously mentioned, it was Peter Timm, as well as Adele Stegen, both technical divers.

Two die in diving tragedy - KwaZulu-Natal | IOL News | IOL.co.za

Durban - “F*** off.” These were the last words spoken by experienced diver Peter Timm as he pushed rescuers out of the way and attempted to resuscitate his dying diving partner – seconds before he collapsed and died, possibly from the “bends”.Timm, 51, was one of three divers reportedly hired by Ezemvelo Wildlife and the SA Association for Marine Biological Research to recover a piece of technical equipment that had fallen off a research vessel near the Aliwal Shoal, off eMkhomazi, last week.

Timm had been diving with technical diver Adele Stegen, 45, and another, unidentified, diver. The third diver had apparently stayed on the boat. Timm was well known as part of the diving team that discovered the presence of coelacanth at Sodwana Bay in Maputaland in 2000.

Netcare 911 spokeswoman Santi Steinmann said paramedics responded to the accident at noon on Wednesday. “Upon their arrival, they found that a man and woman had lost their lives following the incident. Despite all efforts to resuscitate both patients, there was nothing paramedics could do for them,” she said.

The atmosphere was sombre at Aliwal Shoal as police, search-and-rescue personnel and paramedics attended the scene. An eThekwini municipality lifeguard bakkie had to be used to retrieve the bodies from the beach as the morgue van could not drive on the beach sand.

Carol Oosthuizen, the part-owner of Blue Ocean Resort, which had hired out one of their boats to the divers, said she was still in shock and did not know exactly what had happened. Speaking to The Mercury at the beach, a distraught Oosthuizen said: “There’s a research vessel offshore doing research. They lost part of their equipment; they contacted us over the weekend and asked if we’d have a boat available on Wednesday for technical divers to come to do a search and recovery.” She said the technical divers came to fetch the boat and went to the research vessel.

“Exactly what happened, we don’t know. The computers of the two deceased have been given to the police, so we’ll be able to see on the computers exactly what happened,” she said. “The research vessel phoned me and said there had been an incident and the lady diver had bolted to the surface, and that when she surfaced she was foaming at the mouth. From the research vessel, they put two crewmen on to our dive boat to assist with CPR and then the next diver came up. He was conscious when he came on to the boat but passed away while on the vessel,” she said.

It is believed a number of organisations are involved in the research, including Ezemvelo Wildlife, the Oceanographic Research Institute, the SA National Biodiversity Institute and the SA Maritime Association for Marine Biological Research.
Ezemvelo spokesman Musa Mntambo said they would only comment once they had all the information. The organisation sent its condolences to the families of the deceased.

Maritime association spokeswoman Ann Kunz said the organisation would only be able to respond with details of the incident on Thursday, when it had established what might have happened.

A source with knowledge about the initial investigations said the divers had been about 60m deep when tragedy struck. With the equipment they were using not yet recovered, the source said, it would not be easy to determine if it was “medical failure, gas toxicity or human error”.

Personnel from the SA Maritime Safety Authority were on the scene but would not comment. They were doing their own investigations – as was procedure – and could not offer further details.

Police spokesman Jay Naicker said police were investigating two inquest dockets. “Post-mortems will be conducted to determine the cause of death,” he said.
The Mercury

Very sad indeed! Timm was very highly regarded as one of the most experienced tech divers in SA. RIP

Tragic. Timm was a big part of the diving community down here. Well respected.

I don't know what went wrong other than the article says it happened on the ascent.

I looked into into a coelacanth dive earlier this year. Eventually, a combination of lack of my skills and discomfort with the dive plan meant this dive is not for me.

I have heard that Timm's "procedures" for ascent on the coelacanth dives could include firing the SMB from depth. You can attach a shorter deployment line and ride the SMB from say 360 ft to your first stop at maybe 200 ft. It's all the safer if you clip your SMB to yourself, then it can't slip out of your hands while you ascend to your first stop. I've also heard stories (urban legends?) of divers pushing their gas limits, breathing down back gas and maybe the stages to almost nothing as part of the plan / dives. I've heard that gas planning was on standard mixes with tables and tried and tested deco stops potentially limiting flexibility. Whether any of this was in play on the fatal dive I have no idea. It certainly was not a coelacanth dive (though another, probably inaccurate, local article mentioned a depth of 330 ft on the fatal dive).

I've also heard that Timm was meticulous in planning. Experienced and chose his buddies with care. Either way, Timm was mentioned with respect at what he had achieved. He knew how to dive and had developed procedures that worked on coelacanth dives.

I know you mentioned the SMB in the precious post but it would be nice to know how the accent was accomplished and whether an SMB was used at all. I couldn't find anything in any of the articles that even mention the use of an SMB.

It makes you wonder if people even attempt to make a report about these kind of things as the information never actually gets out to the divers reading these incidents trying to make out some sort of information to prevent reoccurrence.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom