Safety Reminder

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MAKO Spearguns

ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
ScubaBoard Business Sponsor
Reaction score
We recent received a report from a MAKO customer. Luckily, he had the presence of mind to drop his weight belt when he felt the situation was getting out of hand.

Connor has given me the OK to share his narrative – we both hope that it serves as a valuable reminder that diving can be a very challenging (and even dangerous) pursuit and we must prepare for situations before they occur. This includes the MENTAL preparation to ditch the belt should things get serious.

As a reminder, we have a free replacement policy for MAKO weightbelts which are ditched and unrecoverable during an actual emergency. This policy applies to both scuba and free- divers, of course.

Freedive Weight Belt | MAKO Spearguns

Below is the un-edited note we received- Thanks again, Connor

Dive Safe!

Dano

Dear Mako team,

I would like to say thank you. I have had many successful dives and hunts in the water using majority your equipment from the weight belt, mask, snorkel, fins and 2mm reversible wet suit. I'm am emailing you in appreciation for the affordable and effective quick release weight belt for I beleive without it I would have lost my life today. It was just another day out to the beach to do a little shore diving. I still beleive I am a beginner diver and try not to push my limits too hard.

We'll today it was very stormy water in Dana Point but I made the drive so I went in the water. I was only about 30 meters out when I realised I shouldn't be out there. First thing that happened was I saw my friend get picked up by a wave and smacked and next I hear him screaming Connor No. My name is connor. Next moment I see a giant wave coming towards me. Strange thing is,is that it was unusually shallow. Around 12 foot which is very unusual for this area. Next thing I know is I'm being tossed and turned by a wave and one of my Mako competition dive fins gets ripped away.

At this point I know it's time to get back onshore ASAP. Unfortunately it was just wave after wave and set after set and the next wave I tried to dive under Sept me away and I rolled and rolled and I had been kicking so hard before that I had no breath left and truly believed that I was going to drown. Suddenly I surficed saw another wave coming. I was already struggling trying to stay afloat with only one fin so I decided nothing in my posting is worth my life.

With that realization I dumped my weight belt and instantly felt more boyent I was able to begin swimming in to shore but not before another wave picked me uo and hurled me and ripped off my Mako mini maske. Fortunately it was over I was finally able to stand up and get onto shore.

I left one fin 10 lbs of weights a dive belt and a mask behind today but I walked away with my life. Thank you for making such an affordable and reliable product

Great story, and fantastic that he remembered to drop the weights.

Great story with a very happy ending!!!

". . . but I made the drive so I went in the water."

And there was the first mistake. On the North Coast, we call that the Sacramento Syndrome. After folks have 3-4 hour drive, they tend to get into the water when conditions are too dangerous. Us locals stay dry and shake our heads at the Sacramento area divers who are getting in the water (and often into trouble).

Divers should ALWAYS be ready to call a dive before it starts. Some days are for bagging the dive plan and catching some breakfast, lunch, a beer or whatever.

Glad you remembered to drop your weights and you kept your wits about you.

Two very good lessons.

!) Call the dive... wasting gas to get to the site doesn't justify wasting your life or health to dive.

2) Ditch the weight belt.

Now that Policy shows a truely responsible Company :worship:

A reminder about our weight belt policy:

MAKO FREE REPLACEMENT/SAFETY POLICY

To our valued customers:
MAKO Spearguns recognizes that diving (both freediving and SCUBA) are potentially dangerous activities. We have all heard of tragic accidents where a diver is found on the bottom while still wearing a weight belt. We hope and pray that should any of our customers find themselves in a situation where ditching a belt may be necessary, that there is no delay and the belt is dropped immediately.

In many situations a belt is recoverable, however if your MAKO Spearguns belt and lead and/or Tinman weights are ditched (and lost) in a true emergency…. I will replace them at our cost.

The last thing we want is our customers considering the cost of a lost belt in an emergency. The only thing we ask is that the individual shares with us (and our friends and customers) some sort of write-up about how the situation developed and how it was resolved. That way, we can all learn and be reminded to keep safety in the forefront of our minds.

Dive safe,
Dano

Freedive Weight Belt | MAKO Spearguns

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom