Shark feeder loses parts of two fingers.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DelrayDM

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
His facebook page is https://www.facebook.com/emeraldcharters

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

warning - graphic image

10891748_795578310479641_1551785241455700370_n.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
He spears fish to feed to the sharks. The purpose of the dive is shark feeding, not to feed himself.

Grisly photo there. Sorry to hear about this. Hope he has a prompt recovery, as best he can. I wonder if this was a shark feeding trip, and sharks had been fed (in which case the bull shark might've been watching feeding), or whether it was not.

I knew he did shark feed dives, but in the pics I've seen he was handing out pieces of fish, not putting whole ones off a spear.

I'm thinking something like this could happen to most any spear fisherman using the same gear. If shark feeding was actively taking place on that very dive, I suspect it would be somewhat more likely.

Richard.

Misleading title. Please read.

Emerald Charters
8 hours ago · Edited ·
Post it? Don't post it? There is a lesson, so Ill post. New years eve, we were diving in Jupiter on the deep ledge. I shot a small but legal Cobia. I pulled the line toward me to retrieve the fish. From nowhere, a Bull Shark charges over and grabs the fish. The line goes slack and wraps around my fingers just as the Bull sees me,he takes the fish and shaft and hauls ass. As soon as that dog hit the end of his leash, POP! My glove goes flying. I thought , Damn he got my glove and I reached for it. Thats when I noticed my fingertips were missing on my left hand. St Marys Hospital took me in and the hand surgeon fixed me up. They could not re attach the digits, so they cut the bone at the first joint and did a "flap over". Personally, I will be super careful to stay clear of the gear when spearfishing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Randy does NOT feed Cobia to sharks.
It was a Cobia that he had popped when Mr. Bull Shark showed up, and the mono on gun looped around and then popped his finger tips off.

Chug
Not into feeding sharks, and wishing Randy a speedy recovery, while thinking up a Sooper-Kool nickname.

I was on the boat the day after this happened. Randy met us at the dock when we got back; his hand was entirely wrapped in gauze but he was in pretty good spirits. No clue when he'll be able to get back in the water. We avoided the deep ledge that day; figured things were a little too hot.

We can debate endlessly whether or not this was related to feeding, but from the sound of things it was another case of a bull managing to snag a fish off a spearo. Randy didn't know the shark was out there and his fingers were in the wrong place when the line went taut, simple as that.

his fingers were in the wrong place when the line went taut, simple as that.

This...A bummer for Randy, but wishing him a speedy recovery.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom