Cruise ship passenger dies on Discover Scuba in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

7milehi

Contributor
Reaction score
A 62 year old male that lives near me died on a discover scuba dive in Cozumel on Tuesday. He was cruising with his wife on a Carnival cruise ship . His body remained on the ship for the duration of the cruise and was removed this morning after arrival back in the US .

I spoke with a close friend of the deceased diver this afternoon. He said the deceased diver had a stent placed in his heart a couple of years ago and also had COPD. Seems like this may have been a cardiac event that lead to a drowning . That's all I know at this time .

I spoke with a close friend of the deceased diver this afternoon. He said the deceased diver had a stent placed in his heart a couple of years ago and also had COPD. Seems like this may have been a cardiac event that lead to a drowning . That's all I know at this time .

Seems like he shouldn't have been medically cleared to participate.

Seems like he shouldn't have been medically cleared to participate.

Ya think?! What the heck was that dive shop thinking? Or did the victim fail to disclose the problems? I'm willing to keep an open mind, but this clearly needs more info.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

While a stent is a "conditional" issue - one where a medical clearance needs to be issued by a doc, active COPD is an absolute contraindication to diving.
Rick

While a stent is a "conditional" issue - one where a medical clearance needs to be issued by a doc, active COPD is an absolute contraindication to diving.
Rick

Note sure what "active" COPD is. The disease is progressive and non-reversible... either you have it or you don't.

And yet another sad story!

I guess I look at it differently. While there is no great way to die, as I get closer, I find that I envy my friends who are doing something they love, something adventurous, and feel bad for my friends who are spending years and a million dollars (because that's where the insurance runs out) battling cancer or congestive heart failure.

I guess I look at it differently. While there is no great way to die, as I get closer, I find that I envy my friends who are doing something they love, something adventurous, and feel bad for my friends who are spending years and a million dollars (because that's where the insurance runs out) battling cancer or congestive heart failure.

I understand what you are saying, but as I get older 62 seems like an awful young age to die, although I am sure that there is no perfect age to die. But if he hadn't overexerted his heart and lungs trying discover scuba - he might have more time to spend with family and friends and go on cruises and have fun. Oh well, at least it sounds like it was quick so that is a good thing.

I'm sure he knew that he was taking a chance but he did it anyway, so that was his choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom