One down in Cozumel today.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

not good, prayers sent for all concerned.
Jay

As per typical info is all over the place on this one. The following is from El Policiaco de Cozumel's Facebook page:
Dies a tourist in the sea, I was floating alive and nobody helped!.

A strange death of a tourist who was diving se rise this morning, the tourist identified as Gene Hughes for 64 years apparently suffered a desmayo in the sea and it is thought that was dead so that they left it floating in the sea for almost an hour on the instructions of the capitanía Of Port.
It was until I arrived elements of the season of search and rescue the Navy, when you realized that the person floating had pulse, although it is very weak, and that is why we immediately rush him Their plants, where already expecting an ambulance in a clinic private.
After the arribo, the foreign was gained from the ambulance and rushed to the hospital where hours later, was confirmed by his death.
Off the record it mentioned that the tourist had a brand steps in the heart and stopped working when it was diving, but then apparently something happened to the visitor came to have a pulse.
What a strange in this case is the time that happened to the body of a tourist in the sea without anyone what pushes up to his ship on The instructions of capitanía Of Port in order to ensure that it is not a metieran in trouble with the law, as work in a recording that has been released in various ways.
It is as well as the sea of Cozumel still charging the life of tourists who are often Callan health problems that have just enjoy the beauties of natural beauty of the island, but the consequences are tragic.

First and foremost how incredibly sad.

secondly, somebody please help me. If I am reading this correctly here, it says a man was spotted floating and presumed dead. This body was then left to float without anybody actually verifying his health or well-being. Did I read this correctly???

First and foremost how incredibly sad.

secondly, somebody please help me. If I am reading this correctly here, it says a man was spotted floating and presumed dead. This body was then left to float without anybody actually verifying his health or well-being. Did I read this correctly???

Unfortunately, that's what it sounds like to me.

That is the way I read it as well, but the translator is not the greatest and there were too many words in the article I didn't understand either. My Spanish is remedial, but here it is in Spanish:

MUERE TURISTA EN EL MAR, ¡ESTABA FLOTÁNDO VIVO Y NADIE LO AYUDO!.
Una extraña muerte de un turista que se encontraba buceando se suscitó esta mañana, el turista identificado como Gene Hugues de 64 años aparentemente sufrió un desmayo en el mar y se pensó que estaba muerto por lo que lo dejaron flotando en el mar durante casi una hora por instrucciones de la capitanía de puerto.
Fue hasta que llegaron elementos de la estación de búsqueda y rescate de la Marina, cuando se percataron que la persona flotando tenía pulso, aunque muy débil, por lo que inmediatamente lo llevaron sus instalaciones donde ya los esperaba una ambulancia de una clínica privada.
Tras el arribo, el extranjero fue subido a la ambulancia y llevado al hospital donde horas más tarde, se confirmó de su fallecimiento.
Extraoficialmente se mencionó que el turista tenía un marca pasos en el corazón y dejó de funcionar cuando se encontraba buceando, pero después aparentemente algo ocurrió que el visitante volvió a tener pulso.
Lo extraño de este caso es el tiempo que pasó el cuerpo del turista en el mar sin que nadie lo subiera a su embarcación, por instrucciones de capitanía de Puerto para que no se metieran en problemas con la ley, tal y como obra en una grabación que se ha divulgado en varios medios.
Es así como el mar de Cozumel sigue cobrando la vida de turistas que muchas veces callan problemas de salud que tienen con tal de disfrutar las bellezas naturales de la isla, pero las consecuencias son trágicas.

In addition to the issues of possibly not checking the person on the surface, the events leading up to him being on the surface alone would be useful. This is not the first event like this. I recall another person who was found deceased on the surface in recent years.

1) Did the person have a real buddy and was his absence noted?

2) Did anyone in the group notice that he was missing? I periodically count the number of divers in the group but a person could easily go missing, surface and not be visually observable between counts.

I don't know what protocols are at work here but I would assume that the first efforts would be to determine if the person could be saved as opposed to calling someone to ask what should be done.

Sounds pretty scandalous even for Mexico. If there really is a recording of the Capitanía issuing those instructions someone should be court-martialed!

The way I'm reading it he was snorkeling, not diving.

Unofficially handled Gene Hughes, who used it as a pacemaker in his body, bought a snorkeling trip to a shop installed at the El Cid La Ceiba with those who went diving the reef Colombia, but if there happened that Thus, what is striking is that it has not reported the loss of the diver to no authority for a dive guide.

And since I was flying home yesterday it happened after I was out of the local loop.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom